Pediatricians Call For a Choke-Proof Hot Dog

TipsyDog

Songster
10 Years
May 14, 2009
Aregua, Paraguay
http://www.nacsonline.com/NACS/News/Daily/Pages/ND0223108.aspx

Pediatricians Call For a Choke-Proof Hot Dog

About one out of every six food-related asphyxiations in children is caused by hot dogs, a statistic that The American Academy of Pediatrics would like to help change.

MCLEAN, Va. – The American Academy of Pediatrics released a statement requesting that hot dogs come with a warning label for the choking hazards they pose to babies and children, USA Today reports.

Ideally, the academy said that they would like to see hot dogs “redesigned” so that their size, shape, and texture make them less likely to pose a choking hazard in the first place. Each year, more than 10,000 children under 14 years of age visit emergency rooms because of choking incidents, and up to 77 die, according to the policy statement published online earlier this week in

Pediatrics. And roughly 1 out of 6 food-related asphyxiations are caused by hot dogs.

“If you were to take the best engineers in the world and try to design the perfect plug for a child's airway, it would be a hot dog,” said statement author Gary Smith, director of the Center for Injury Research and Policy at Nationwide Children's Hospital Columbus, Ohio.

“I’m a pediatric emergency doctor, and to try to get them out once they're wedged in, it’s almost impossible...No parents can watch all of their kids 100% of the time," Smith said. "The best way to protect kids is to design these risks out of existence."

Janet Riley, president of the National Hot Dog & Sausage Council, supports the academy’s stance about improving education for parents and caregivers about choking prevention. "Ensuring the safety of the foods we service to children is critically important for us," Riley said.

However, Riley questioned whether warning labels are helpful, noting that more than half of hot dogs sold in stores already include choking-prevention tips on their packaging.

"As a mother who has fed toddlers cylindrical foods like grapes, bananas, hot dogs and carrots, I 'redesigned' them in my kitchen by cutting them with a paring knife until my children were old enough to manage on their own," Riley said.

The Food and Drug Administration said that it plans to review the statement.

I LOVE Ms. Riley's quote I bolded above. I'm sure they will spend millions of our tax money to research this anyway. How about cutting them lengthwise? I'm sure our goverment will wind up redesigning childrens mouths rather then letting Mom handle it
roll.png

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!! - The new mantra?
he.gif

I agree, I always cut up my choking hazard foods small enough that there is little risk. In 11 yrs of having kids I have only had 1 kid somewhat choke on anything and it was my oldest daughter wolfing down macaroni and cheese LOL! Scared me to death- she was about 5 at the time- but we made it through unscathed LOL! I think a lot of this should be common sense...
idunno.gif

I couldn't believe it, when I heard that!!! What next - soft sidewalks, so nobody skins their knees! Something strange has happened- no one wants to take responsibility for taking care of themselves or their kids. Last month, it was the pull cords to drapes and blinds. How many parents would put the crib next to ropes hanging down???? Ugh, it is discouraging...

Here is a snippet of an alert that I read this morning.
It goes right along with the above article.
Chipping away at the rights and responsibilities of parents.

PM me if you want the whole article
smile.png

"The Hand That Rocks the Cradle"

The following is a letter to the Editor which appeared in the Cape May County (NJ) Herald Feb. 17. It is reprinted here with the permission of its author, Cathy Driscoll of Villas, NJ.

To The Editor: “The hand that rocks the cradle is the hand that rules the world” wrote William Ross Wallace back in 1865. When committed, loving parents rock the cradle, freedom flourishes. When the state is allowed to rock that cradle, evil follows. Tyrants need thugs and wimps. This “ideal” population is produced by controlling the rearing of children. George Orwell’s “Animal Farm” illustrates the brutal way the sheep dog is robbed of her puppies. Once confiscated, the puppies become trained bullies and useful enforcers.

Step by step our government has morphed from respecting parents’ rights to dismantling them. Do you want this to continue turning from a snowball into an avalanche?​

Well I'm not speechless I'll say it for everyone who is thinking it
big_smile.png
THAT'S THE DUMBEST THING I EVER HEARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BE A PARENT INSTEAD OF A MINDLESS DRONE AND YOUR KID CAN'T CHOKE ON A HOTDOG BECAUSE YOU WOULD HAVE SENSE ENOUGH TO CHOP IT UP!!!!! Ok, lol.

That being said...me AND my brother choked on hotdogs at the SAME TIME when we were 3 and 5 and I remember the look on my mother's face....sheer terror...which one do I save? She grabbed my brother up and did the heimlich and I am forever scarred by her picking him. I was 3!!!!!!!
big_smile.png
Seriously though, she shoulda chopped them hot dogs, that was dumb!! But, we didn't die, although my brother did intend to kill me several times after that incident, but I showed him...I'm still kickin. Sticks and stones do break bones but hotdogs never harmed me
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom