Peeling fresh eggs...I guess this would be the most appropriate place

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by IggiMom, Apr 19, 2009.

1. IggiMom

IggiMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    West Virginia
    I am trying to make pickled eggs out of my Bantie eggs and I am going nuts in the process. [​IMG] I have my own system of how to keep my eggs fresh, and apparently I am wildly successful, because I cannot peel them at all. I am picking them off in tiny bits and losing about half the egg with the shell. Does anyone have any way to peel eggs that are fresh? Any hints appreciated.

Um, is this the correct place to post this question?

Thanks.

2. sebright guy

sebright guy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    my mom finds that the older the egg is the better it peels!

3. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    some people like us let them sit out on the counter for about a week. to kinda age them it is drastically easier. hope it helps.

4. purecountrychicken

purecountrychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    Gray Court, SC
    I have heard adding salt to your water helps. Not sure how much salt.

5. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    To peel very fresh eggs boil them with 1/3 to 1/2 CUP salt and they will peel like a dream every time. It doesn't make them taste salty either.

6. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    I've found that immediately submerging the freshly boiled egg in heavily iced water takes care of the problem. You really have to make sure it's icey.

7. antiquebuff

antiquebuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Franklin, NC
    Bring your water to a rolling boil. Drop eggs into it , can be right out of fridge, and boil for 12 minutes. Drain water and add cold water. They will peel like a charm! And, no they will not break when you add them to the hot water.
    I teach food safety and it is not advised to leave eggs on the counter for a week before using.
    Try this and let me know how it works for you. I actually read it here of BYC!
    Stay safe with food and peel those eggs like a charm!

8. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:I use this same method. It works like a charm.

9. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    In some countries, fresh eggs are left unrefrigerated for up to 30 days and are still safe to eat....

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  10. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Eggs that I am selling to coworkers I do not put in the fridge. They are always less than 4 or 5 days old so I know they are safe to eat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by