Peeling, scabby, sore duck feet! Advice very welcome please.

I agree that it looks like extreme frostbite. Webs will not grow back. Depending how deeply the tissue is damaged she may or may not lose toes entirely. Your biggest issue is going to be watching for signs of infection. Infection could go systemic and if it develops I would highly recommend a vet for antibiotics. Also with frostbite it is crucial not to allow her back in cold temperatures until fully healed or the problem can be made worse.

I'm not sure she'd have been exposed to anything cold enough to give her frost bite... she came inside just before the first really cold snap happened about a week ago.
....and what temps were those?
I can't imagine anything but frostbite that would make the skin peel off like that.
You don't use any lime on the ground do you?

We live in the South West of England.
Here's how to add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
1579899415351.png

I agree it looks like Frostbite.

Even though this is a chicken, "treatment" would be the same for Ducks. The hen did loose both feet, but she's learned to manage somewhat. The OP outlined what she did in the first post. Soaking every other day in Epsom salts and keeping feet clean/dry/wrapped with antiseptic spray (I assume something like Vetericyn). The Epsom Salts may be "drying" but I would make the assumption that's what you want when tissue is dead like that, it's going to dry and fall off anyway, so it may help promote that. I'm not a vet nor expert, so doing some reading of severe frostbite cases on the ER forums and seeing what others have successfully done would be your best bet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/frostbite-lost-both-feet-my-hens-story.1343701/

I don’t know about duck feet particularly, but in terms of general wound care:
-no more swimming
- black tissue appears dead, will probably continue to fall off
-looks like there is some pink granulation tissue (healing) there, which is a good sign
- IF she was mine, I’d wash her feet in an antiseptic solution, pack with polysporin (or neosporin or other antibiotic ointment) then wrap her feet, keeping toes gently separate and change bandages daily
I don’t think webs will grow back, but I can’t see that being a problem for a pet duck’s swimming, I’m sure she’d manage a tub or little pool

Like I said, I’m no expert but I do know how soft their little feeties are and I think bandages and ointment will provide the best environment for healing :)
Best of luck!
Great post!

Back
Top Bottom