Peeling, scabby, sore duck feet! Advice very welcome please.

I agree it looks like Frostbite.

Even though this is a chicken, "treatment" would be the same for Ducks. The hen did loose both feet, but she's learned to manage somewhat. The OP outlined what she did in the first post. Soaking every other day in Epsom salts and keeping feet clean/dry/wrapped with antiseptic spray (I assume something like Vetericyn). The Epsom Salts may be "drying" but I would make the assumption that's what you want when tissue is dead like that, it's going to dry and fall off anyway, so it may help promote that. I'm not a vet nor expert, so doing some reading of severe frostbite cases on the ER forums and seeing what others have successfully done would be your best bet.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/frostbite-lost-both-feet-my-hens-story.1343701/

I don’t know about duck feet particularly, but in terms of general wound care:
-no more swimming
- black tissue appears dead, will probably continue to fall off
-looks like there is some pink granulation tissue (healing) there, which is a good sign
- IF she was mine, I’d wash her feet in an antiseptic solution, pack with polysporin (or neosporin or other antibiotic ointment) then wrap her feet, keeping toes gently separate and change bandages daily
I don’t think webs will grow back, but I can’t see that being a problem for a pet duck’s swimming, I’m sure she’d manage a tub or little pool

Like I said, I’m no expert but I do know how soft their little feeties are and I think bandages and ointment will provide the best environment for healing :)
Best of luck!
Great advice..I would do the same!

It does...but temps not really low enough?
So temps were what? 6? Is that C or F? LOL
Not sure then if it was 6C

Frostbite is exposure and cold, but I can't see a Duck having trouble with that temperature (I don't own Ducks!)
The only other thing is the foot was damaged badly somehow and is "dying" but she would have had to had that foot "strangled" for a period of time. But it's both feet right, so that doesn't make much sense. :idunno

i was thinking abput common chemical around the yard and i thaught of two. A spilled bag of swimming pool chemicals, or a spilled bag of driveway De Icer

Ice-melting chemicals commonly contain sodium chloride or rock salt, calcium chloride, potassium chloride, magnesium chloride, and/or urea, also known as carbonyl diamide. If swallowed, they can be irritating and cause stomach distress. On the skin or paws, they can cause irritation and dryness

With any chemical its concentration + Exposure time

I agree that it looks like extreme frostbite. Webs will not grow back. Depending how deeply the tissue is damaged she may or may not lose toes entirely. Your biggest issue is going to be watching for signs of infection. Infection could go systemic and if it develops I would highly recommend a vet for antibiotics. Also with frostbite it is crucial not to allow her back in cold temperatures until fully healed or the problem can be made worse.
What about trying fishmox? I used that for my duck with bed sores and it helped a great deal...even if it isn’t frostbite, like everyone is sot of going back and forth about...I agree, the tissue is dying/dead...that needs to be addressed and treated and then the cause can be found. I would definitely keep them wrapped and try to keep her immobile while she’s healing.

I had dead tissue on a dog....The dead tissue needs to come off. You need to see good viable red healthy tissue..that means there is a blood supply...when it gets to there..keep it with the antibiotic cream...personally, I have seem necrosis before...putting antibiotic oint doesn’t do annything for dead tissue. But, once you get to red...a bit of sugar on the red tissue also helps it be protected granulate in faster..meaning, just the good tissue will grow back together faster. I would imagine that the treatment for any dead tissue, person or animal would be quite the same.

Back
Top Bottom