Peeling, scabby, sore duck feet! Advice very welcome please.

I am not a duck or frostbite expert, but it does look like frostbite that has happened some time ago. Chemical damage also would be something to consider. The OP says that it was 6C, but it got colder. Even inside with wet feet, animals get frostbite below freezing, or standing on metal. The most important thing is trying to salvage what is left of her feet once the necrotic (dead) tissue comes off. I would agree with the Epsom salts or salt water soaks daily followed by antiseptic or antibiotic ointment. The salt water would be 4 tsp table salt per gallon of water. Savlon, I believe, is chlorhexidene cream that may be available to use in the UK. Any antibiotic needed would need to come from a vet where the OP is located.

Another alternative when you have necrotic tissue like that (any animal or human) is you can use raw honey as your salve and then bandage, doing daily bandage changes. There are lots of studies on this, but in a nutshell it changes the PH surrounding the wound (among other things) and promotes healing and is also antibacterial/antimicrobial. When my dog had a severe necrotic infection, this was the vet's preferred course of treatment. We did try some other medications that the vet had, but this proved most effective in conjunction with oral antibiotics to stop a systemic infection. Once you receive your vetwrap etc. in the mail and all your supplies I would recommend keeping the wound covered while it heals. Ducks poop on the ground and walk in their poop. Even in a relatively "clean" environment, nothing stays clean when ducks are involved. Fighting infection is your biggest concern at this point. Dead tissue will fall off, tissue will heal where there sill good blood supply.

Back
Top Bottom