Peep! Peep!

Woo hooo Annie; excellent news
celebrate.gif

I am sorry you lost the little one though.

This morning, I pulled Kallie off the nest to count her chicks
She was NOT happy.
There are still 5 unhatched eggs under her.

I dipped each chick's beak in the water and showed them the food, but they didn't seem interested.
So far I have 5 chicks.
Not sure which breeds yet - how long until she lets them out from under her?
I'm worried about them eating and drinking?
I've put the food and water near them but haven't seen them go there yet.
Here are a couple of photos I got before she gathered them up to her nest again.

They're so cute!

Don't worry about eating and drinking, mommas show their babies how to do it. She will probably start showing them the food and water when she decides the eggs under her are not going to hatch. If you have an incubator, you could remove these eggs and put them in there so she can feed her new chicks and settle them on a new, clean nest. Then, as the eggs hatch, slip the new chicks under her and she should adopt them as well.

Congrats on the adorable babies!

So I ended up with EIGHT chicks out of a dozen eggs!
I'm so happy!

So far, this first time mama is great and all the chooks seem healthy and happy.
I watched her yesterday as she took pieces of the chick mash into her beak and broke it into smaller pieces and dropped it for the chicks to eat.
Fascinating!

She moved them further and further away from the nest yesterday, going back to it to sleep.
I've taken so many photos I'll drive you people crazy, but they're so danged cute!

I THINK I have 5 Copper Marans, 2 Mille Fleur/Leghorn, and 1 Americauna.
I'll take individual photos in a few days.

Here are two.
Sorry they're dark, but I didn't want to use a flash with the new mom.
Can you see the THREE chooks peeking out from under her?

Back
Top Bottom