peeping but no hatching

fiddleranch

Hatching
6 Years
May 19, 2013
I heard the chick peeping inside the egg last night, around 7pm, checked on it this morning, still peeping inside but no pipping or hatching. How long can it take for the chick to start pipping?

welcome-byc.gif

It could take several hours for the chick to pip externally (through the shell). Give it a few more hours and if it's showing signs of getting weaker and is still not making progress, candle the egg to see there the air sac starts, mark it with a pencil and make an artificial pip hole near the chick's beak, above the air sac line. Just make a small hole so the chick can get some air and put it back in the incubator.

Most of my peeps have pipped, but only a little. One has made a big hole for breathing, the other has made a slit in the membrane and has his beak sticking out of it a little. Hopefully that little guy will make it, its been at least 12 hours since he pipped. I've already had one die, but I raised the humidity to about 70, so I'm hoping for some babies! Good luck to you and your babies too!

Back
Top Bottom