peeping chick no incubator NEED ADVICE QUICK

Turtle

Songster
10 Years
Apr 2, 2009
Lyles,TN
Ok something got my broody silkie night before last. I locked the rest of my chickens into a brooder cage I have, well this morning when I went to let them out I figured I would pick up the eggs from my broody. They were almost ready to hatch. Three where dead in the egg but one was peeping so I took it and put it in my bra. I heard of someone hatching chicks that way. Is there anything special I need to do? do I have to turn the egg or help the little one out. I really need some ADVICE it would be great to save this baby since its momma was killed. Thanks for anything that helps

I had someone tell me to help it out from the egg and now I am really scared because its just laying there sleeping. Did I mess up. Can I please get some kind of advice on this. Did I just kill my sweet chick. O I am so frustrated.

They do sleep a bit when they first get out... they are tired!
wink.png

Keep it warm (around 100F) and dry. Obviously you have no incubator. You can take a box and a heat lamp now and keep him warm.... sorry HER (bet you rather have a hen). I would even close off the vents in that room... you don't want a draft while he/she is wet.

You might want to keep it in a towel in your hands while someone else sets all this up. Two thing will happen... you'll be drying the chick, and you will be keeping it warm. Good luck and let us know!

So sorry to hear about your broody. Poor thing was almost done!

Edit to add:
Once durring a snow storm the power went out and I had little 3 day old chicks that started to really get cold... heck I was cold! I took the whole lot of them (I think it was umteen chicks) and put them under my shirt and they went right to sleep.
Chicks will sleep when you put them up to you... it's nature. If they were with their mom they would be under her wing sleeping too. Your breathing in and out soothes them.

Last edited:
thank you, I have it in a bowl with the bottom covered in papertowels and a one partly wrapped around it. It is doing a little better. I have a lamp on it to keep her (I hope) warm. I am going to check on her every 10 minutes to see what is going on with her. She is starting to move around. trying to stand

Quote:
yeah, when you help them out of the shell... you tend to do it a bit early ("you" being humans... not YOU). The little booger just needs some extra time than normal. Warm and dry is the main thing. With one chick, I would just get a cardboard box for a brooder and use a heatlamp that is FIRMLY fixed and shineing down. Remember... when you are brooding to keep one end of a brooder cool and the other warm so the chick can self-regulate it's tempature. I have had people email me and ask me why their chick died when they heat lamp was right over them... they cooked them is why. So, don't make that mistake. Give the little thing some space to move where it needs to be, tempature wise. Also... for some reason if you put the food right under the light they are more apt to get pasty-butt... so I always put the food and water on the cool end.

Quote:
yeah, when you help them out of the shell... you tend to do it a bit early ("you" being humans... not YOU). The little booger just needs some extra time than normal. Warm and dry is the main thing. With one chick, I would just get a cardboard box for a brooder and use a heatlamp that is FIRMLY fixed and shineing down. Remember... when you are brooding to keep one end of a brooder cool and the other warm so the chick can self-regulate it's tempature. I have had people email me and ask me why their chick died when they heat lamp was right over them... they cooked them is why. So, don't make that mistake. Give the little thing some space to move where it needs to be, tempature wise. Also... for some reason if you put the food right under the light they are more apt to get pasty-butt... so I always put the food and water on the cool end.

Whatever you do keep her warm. I slept with a wet baby in the crook of my neck all night. Make sure their are absolutely no drafts about. They will die quickly due to being cold. Do you have any chicks you can put her with?

Quote:

Whatever you do keep her warm. I slept with a wet baby in the crook of my neck all night. Make sure their are absolutely no drafts about. They will die quickly due to being cold. Do you have any chicks you can put her with?

That's perfect! And adorable!
wink.png

Makes me feel less crazy for sitting in a ice cold house with chicks under my shirt. I shivered for three hours while they slept comfy and warm. lol.

thank you to everyone who helped me out. So far so good. I will keep everyone updated on the out come, I am just happy I was able to have at least one of her chicks. I was sooo sad when I seen she was gone. She was the best momma. Only have one silkie hen left. I will bring her in the house to save her if I have to.

Back
Top Bottom