1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Peeping inside the egg...is it possible or am I imagining things.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SirTerris, Dec 15, 2015.

1. SirTerris

SirTerris Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2015
    I am on day 19 of my hatch, and had to add more water to my incubator....while the alarm was going off because i had the lid open, I was sure I heard distinct peeping coming from one of the belgian d'uccle eggs.

Is this possible, or am I imagining things. I didn't see any pipping, just heard baby chicken noises....

2. KeyFlock

KeyFlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2015
    Kansas
    It's definitely possible! You may hear peeping inside one or two of the eggs after they have internally pipped (broken through the air sac). Next comes the external pip!

3. SirTerris

Dec 8, 2015
    ....now the big question...how am I supposed to sleep knowing there are baby chickens peeping away inside their shells?

4. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Don't fight it, just get some coffee ;)

5. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    peeping in shell DOESN'T mean help me!, a pip in the shell DOESN'T mean help me. Sit on those hands!

6. SirTerris

Dec 8, 2015
    Im not doing anything, i havent heard any peeping since adding water to the incubator though....i just hope everything goes well, Im so worried ive somehow killed them all...

7. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    It will peep more after it pips!

8. mirandaleecon

mirandaleecon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2014
    Panama City, FL
    Don't fret, they don't continuously peep. They will have bouts of peeping/moving around while they are getting ready to hatch and then bouts of quiet while they are resting and absorbing their yolk.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by