Peeping stopped & worried!!

Asweet23

In the Brooder
7 Years
Mar 10, 2012
Great Plains
Broody hen was sitting on a clutch of 10 eggs with hatch date of March 9-12th. 2 successfully hatched on the 7th, 2 died :(, and after the hen decided to not sit on the remaining 6 eggs I decided to bring them in the house to keep them warm and see if they would hatch. After almost giving up I heard one start to peep yesterday morning. I can't tell you how excited I was about it! The warmer turned off without me knowing and the eggs did get cool. Could this have killed it/them? I'm so upset at myself for letting this happen. I have a heat lamp on them now (with a cup of water and washcloth next to them in a box in a plastic bin) and still no peeping or wobbling. This is day 20/21 for them so there should be something going on. Should I still have hope for another day or two even without peeping??

Angela
**2 yellow labs, 6 kitty cats, 2 horses, 15 hens, 3 roo's, 7 chicks with buff orphington mother hen, 1 betta fish, 2 beautiful daughters ages 7 & 10, and a totally awesome husband of 18 years to help me out with all of this!!**

One time this happened to me with duck eggs, I kept the humidity right and the tempature correct. The next day (after much nail biteing) they hatched. Do you have a thermometer? Did the chick make a pip ( little hole)?? They usually start peeping when they get their beak into the air cell, and begine breathing. Once they start peeping they should hatch soon. Try not to touch the eggs because they are getting in the right place to hatch.
Are they in an incubator or a box? An incubator would work best! If you have a hydromometer try to keep the humidity level around 60%.

Sophie

No incubator. Hen was sitting on the eggs. So...wasn't really prepared for this so improvised with what I had to best suit the eggs for their last few days. I am fearing the worst since the peeping stopped yesterday around 4pm. I have no idea of the temp and humidity of the eggs, just hoping for a miracle here. I candled them and they are all dark with only the small area of air sac at the end.

Back
Top Bottom