I checked 5 eggs yesterday evening after dark. One was a no-go. And 4 seemed to do fine. My torch wasn’t good enough or there was too much stray light to see any. So I’m not very sure.

I would like to look again during the day and take the eggs to a real dark closet, hoping for a better view. If a broody is off the nest this will be fine. But I don’t like the idea to disturb them. So I hope for a opportunity one of the next days.

Who knows until what day I can see veins?
P.S. I found the answer myself on a dutch site with very good pictures : https://www.eierenschouwen.nl/eieren-schouwen/

edit: veins , not vains.

Last edited:
Hello from Norway 😍

Today we are watching our hedemora Persille, who is hatching eggs. We are on day 21, and can hear chirping under her. We are so excited, because it's been over 10 years since we've had chicken breed that go broody.

So, after many years with RIR and Lohmans, we decided we had to get a more sustainable breed and started looking for hedemoras. It took us 2 years, but in February we found a rooster and 3 hens for sale. The white hen on the picture is our last Lohman, Lucky.

20210417_140722.jpg

Persille on work. We are curious if we get any black chickens, one of the hens are all black. And the rooster seem to have a gene for wooly feathers.

20210330_122724.jpg

Yesterday was the eighth day. But I couldn’t see any veins because the combination mobile torch and stray light was not good.
Have you tried your cell phone light? They are usually very strong and do not heat up. Cut a piece of the cardboard of a toiletpaper roll so the egg sits on it and that way the light is concentrated. Works very well!
If you haven't seen any veins by day 8 you can toss the egg.
Good luck!! :jumpy :jumpy

Hello from Norway 😍

Today we are watching our hedemora Persille, who is hatching eggs. We are on day 21, and can hear chirping under her. We are so excited, because it's been over 10 years since we've had chicken breed that go broody.

So, after many years with RIR and Lohmans, we decided we had to get a more sustainable breed and started looking for hedemoras. It took us 2 years, but in February we found a rooster and 3 hens for sale. The white hen on the picture is our last Lohman, Lucky.

View attachment 2622754

Persille on work. We are curious if we get any black chickens, one of the hens are all black. And the rooster seem to have a gene for wooly feathers.

View attachment 2622757
how exciting!!!! I would love to see mine go broody...

Yesterday I butchered 3 of my hens that I did not want to breed with anymore. Oh my... my chickens are going on a diet!!! Big time!
Anyways... I have no room in the freezer... one hen I will give to my friend on Monday... the other hen we'll have next week... and the 3rd I sold to someone I know very well. She writes me today... they tried 3 different pots.. and couldn't get her to fit. LOL yes, Sulmtaler are large chickens!!! They finally managed by cutting her in half.
I tried to get a couple of eggs from my blue group but only from a certain hen. I moved the other hen into the rooster pens... no egg... one week and no egg. OK.. the girl is 3 years old... who knows. But I did get eggs from her, I do know that. Well, when I butchered her... I found a perfectly shaped egg.. ready to lay inside her. I know 100% not that this egg came from her. And it will go into the incbator.

Just turned on the setting incubator for the last time... the eggs will go in tonight. Last hatch for this year. Exciting to see the chicks and how they develop... but sad... that these are the last ones.

how exciting!!!! I would love to see mine go broody...
Do you have a breed that go broody? We have had many breeds during the years, but there are many bred that go broody once or twice in a lifetime, and that may not be enough if one would have a sustainable flock without a incubator. The swedish hedemora is well known to go broody (often to often🤣) and being good mama's. So we hope this is true for our new flock.

Do you have a breed that go broody? We have had many breeds during the years, but there are many bred that go broody once or twice in a lifetime, and that may not be enough if one would have a sustainable flock without a incubator. The swedish hedemora is well known to go broody (often to often🤣) and being good mama's. So we hope this is true for our new flock.
Well, most likely they won't go broody... but they may. I breed Sulmtaler for show... I can't wait for them to go broody. One or two broody hens would also not give me enough chicks... that is the downside. I would love to just let the hens do it.

Back
Top Bottom