@abpatchy 44 miracles šŸ˜

Line breeding is quite common among chicken breeders. And many breeds are saved due to one or two small flocks and are strong, healthy breeds today.

We have cleaned out the nesting box. There was one egg that didn't hatch. 10 chicks out of 11 eggs.

Last edited:
:confused: I suspect the outcome will be very disappointing. Yesterday evening when I checked the 2 pirates, they where in one nest. The eggs in the other nest where not cold, but not warm as they should be either.

Candling with a selfmade ā€˜toilet paperā€™ roll didnā€™t work either. The shells of these bantam RIR eggs are very different from my own eggs. I just canā€™t see through properly.

I wonder if itā€™s worth wile to go on? For now I just let them sitting. I do hope it might be worth it to wait another 10-12 days to see if there are a few chicks who make it.

@chickengr if I hear about Barbezieux here I will let you know.
I have Marans, but they are not separated in a separate cage, so I cannot guarantee the eggs will be pure Marans, as I have another 5 breeds all mixed up together. Maran eggs are very common here, they cost around 1.15EUR per egg. Which part of Greece are you at? If you are North, I can get you some Maran eggs and we could meet at the border. I live in South Bulgaria 1-hour drive from the Greek border.

I wonder if itā€™s worth wile to go on? For now I just let them sitting. I do hope it might be worth it to wait another 10-12 days to see if there are a few chicks who make it.
I would give it a try anyway!
yesterday I tried to candle mine, but marans eggs are too dark and I can't see anything, while with araucanas I see something, but I don't know what it is! šŸ˜…
at least they seem to be fertile: they are lighter on the bottom, and I guess that is the air cell, but I don't know if they are developing how they should. we are on day 17 I should just wait, but it's sooooooooo hard!

:confused: I suspect the outcome will be very disappointing. Yesterday evening when I checked the 2 pirates, they where in one nest. The eggs in the other nest where not cold, but not warm as they should be either.

Candling with a selfmade ā€˜toilet paperā€™ roll didnā€™t work either. The shells of these bantam RIR eggs are very different from my own eggs. I just canā€™t see through properly.

I never candle the eggs under the broody. once I had 2 broodies who from time to time forgot in which nest to sit but the chicks hatched anyway. mother nature is great. don't give up!

@chickengr if I hear about Barbezieux here I will let you know.
I have Marans, but they are not separated in a separate cage, so I cannot guarantee the eggs will be pure Marans, as I have another 5 breeds all mixed up together. Maran eggs are very common here, they cost around 1.15EUR per egg. Which part of Greece are you at? If you are North, I can get you some Maran eggs and we could meet at the border. I live in South Bulgaria 1-hour drive from the Greek border.

thank you. I live very south, at the moment on salamina island. it is near athens. I will move to my new place that is about 70 km north of athens (st. thomas), so again far away from you. if the things with covid dictatorship get better in september I'd be interested in maran's egg but pure marans only. there are a few bulgarian people that live near my new place so they might bring me the eggs. there is also a friend of mine who has a brother married to a bulgarian. they live in drama, greece. that is close to the bulgarian border. where do you live?

I would give it a try anyway!
yesterday I tried to candle mine, but marans eggs are too dark and I can't see anything, while with araucanas I see something, but I don't know what it is! šŸ˜…
at least they seem to be fertile: they are lighter on the bottom, and I guess that is the air cell, but I don't know if they are developing how they should. we are on day 17 I should just wait, but it's sooooooooo hard!
I agree @BDutch don't give up! Eggs can take a little chill. It might take a little longer for them to hatch but they should still hatch.

Back
Top Bottom