It's been a while since I was last on here... About time I show my face again!
Our 3 chicks are growing well, they're almost 8 weeks old by now and no longer fitting under "mom's" wings, as the broody is a Wyandotte bantam and the chicks are all Brahma x Brahma/Barnevelder :gig
WhatsApp Image 2021-10-07 at 10.48.39 PM.jpeg
This picture is from a couple weeks ago, they've grown in quite a few more feathers since then! But I do wonder if I need to put up a heat lamp for them, now that it's starting to get a little colder especially at night...

And how do you guys go about introducing a hen with chicks back into the flock? Right now she's in a small rabbit run inside of the indoor run. They can see eachother through the wire but that's it.

Speaking of our chickens' liveing area... we're working on expanding our indoor run some more. The new part will be 2.90x4.70m and we'll build a door connecting it to the other indoor run. It'll be used mainly just as extra space, but it'll also come in handy to keep the young roosters separated from the rest of the flock at some point in the near future.
Right now, they have a 2.5x3.5m indoor run, a coop that's about 2.5x2m and the outdoor run which is at least 18m2... But they deserve more space! And we can't let them out into the garden every day, so adding another indoor area was the next best thing.

Last edited:
Bantam cochins really are the sweetest thing! My neighbor breeds them in bobtail... they don't get much attention. And yet become tame with new owners like they have never known anything else. They make the sweetest sounds... their walk is just sooo cute!!
They are not very noisy, so perfect for a backyard flock... you never know about the neighbors!
244412055_726804578715794_5193814552936247764_n.jpg

…….
And how do you guys go about introducing a hen with chicks back into the flock? Right now she's in a small rabbit run inside of the indoor run. They can see eachother through the wire but that's it.

Speaking of our chickens' liveing area... we're working on expanding our indoor run some more. The new part will be 2.90x4.70m and we'll build a door connecting it to the other indoor run. It'll be used mainly just as extra space, but it'll also come in handy to keep the young roosters separated from the rest of the flock at some point in the near future.
Right now, they have a 2.5x3.5m indoor run, a coop that's about 2.5x2m and the outdoor run which is at least 18m2... But they deserve more space! And we can't let them out into the garden every day, so adding another indoor area was the next best thing.
If you have friendly chickens : Introducing a mother with chicks back into the flock is easy when they have seen each other all the time. Can you Just open the door of the rabbit run if you can stay watch the interaction?. If there are no bad (bloody) pecks it’s okay to leave the the door open. Keep the rabbit cage in the run until they all roost with the flock.

If there are some aggressive chickens you can make a little run/cage with a hole in it attached to the rabbit cage. The chicks need the rabbit cage for a safe haven . So the hole(s) needs to be larger than the chicks, but smaller than the bullies to fit through.

Good luck!

It is official. I will be showing my chickens this year! It is really happening. No covid lockdown or cancellations. Our breeding club went together with the one in the next town over and we are having our local show as a joint venture. In two weeks!! Yikes! Getting nervous!!!
And it appears that the show in Hanover is also happening. I got a message that they will allow only vaccinated and from covid recovered people into the show. That allows them to place the cages at normal distance. 9 weeks to go for Hanover!
My first time I will get to show my birds!! I'm excited, looking forward, scared all at the same time! :p
I will be going thru my birds this weekend... butchering some roosters...next week I am off so I can do some cleaning and washing the birds...next weekend. Wish me luck!

It is official. I will be showing my chickens this year! It is really happening. No covid lockdown or cancellations. Our breeding club went together with the one in the next town over and we are having our local show as a joint venture. In two weeks!! Yikes! Getting nervous!!!
And it appears that the show in Hanover is also happening. I got a message that they will allow only vaccinated and from covid recovered people into the show. That allows them to place the cages at normal distance. 9 weeks to go for Hanover!
My first time I will get to show my birds!! I'm excited, looking forward, scared all at the same time! :p
I will be going thru my birds this weekend... butchering some roosters...next week I am off so I can do some cleaning and washing the birds...next weekend. Wish me luck!
Sounds really exciting!

Good luck :celebrate

Back
Top Bottom