I'm afraid in Italy 3 euro/egg is a normal price for rare breeds
Few years ago, the normal price was €2/egg and €3/egg if the breed/colour was really rare. I never bought hatching eggs though, I was going to buy some Bantam Faverolles eggs from a breeder in central Italy, but I later decided to focus only on one chicken breed.
Unfortunately, with the higher feed prices, most breeders sell their eggs for €3 now, I guess even €4 for certain breeds.
Anyway, I'm glad this thread is active now, unfortunately I wasn't able to log-in pretty often lately.

I candled the Augsburger eggs today. Out of 38 eggs one had died off early. 5 were infertile and one is with a ? as it is hard to see due to patterns in the shell.
I think for shipped eggs that is a really good result. Hope it stays that way.
I tried to candle the Sulmtaler eggs as well, but it was still to hard to see. They have a little color in them so it makes it a little harder to see. I'll try tomorrow night... I should be able to see then.

I candled the Augsburger eggs today. Out of 38 eggs one had died off early. 5 were infertile and one is with a ? as it is hard to see due to patterns in the shell.
I think for shipped eggs that is a really good result. Hope it stays that way.
I tried to candle the Sulmtaler eggs as well, but it was still to hard to see. They have a little color in them so it makes it a little harder to see. I'll try tomorrow night... I should be able to see then.
Your sulmtalers.... Do they fly?
I checked them and they look great with their funny heads. In the character description it said they'd be good flyers... It would pretty much rule them out for us...
I'm happy for you, that your eggs look good!

happy for your eggs, @abpatchy!
I finally found isbar eggs for 2 euro each and I can drive to pick them up, so they don't have to be shipped... that's good! still, I have to wait for hens to go broody and here it started snowing again, so it's going to take some time!
@fluffycrow I'm still waiting to hear from my friend about aseel eggs, he didn't reply yet!
@Skyle I think I'm going to buy bantam faverolles eggs from central italy, maybe it's the same breeder! I was actually searching for favorelles, but I could only find bantam.
I don't know what's wrong with me, until now I've been immune to chicken math... but I guess those days are over! :jumpy

After the first year I don't do chicken math anymore. Started with 4 in 2014 and only the year after I decided a few more would be fun.
My flock (afults) never got bigger than 9. Now I have 6. I want a few more because the 4 older hens don’t lay much and no eggs at all from oktober until April.

They can if they feel like they need to fly like when they get scared. It's amazing
Your sulmtalers.... Do they fly?
I checked them and they look great with their funny heads. In the character description it said they'd be good flyers... It would pretty much rule them out for us...
I'm happy for you, that your eggs look good!
No, not really. They do tend to spread their wings and come running when I call them and they think I got treats. I have had pullets who made it up a tree at about 1.5m heights.
Other than that they don't do much flying at all... But I have seen them fly straight up and would have easily made it over the fence if I didn't have netting on top when they got scared.
They are a really heavy bird, roosters up to 4kg, hens up to 3,5kg. It's amazing that they make it in the air at all. All in all I would say they don't fly unless they feel like they have to.

I think today I will begin collecting eggs for my first 2023 incubation. Still don't know exactly how many eggs to set. I recently bought a new incubator that holds up to 70 eggs (I already tried it last year with quails and it's awesome), but I don't want to overdo, since feed and bedding prices are so high. I'll probably incubate between 20 and 40 eggs.
I can't wait to have chicks again:jumpy

They can if they feel like they need to fly like when they get scared. It's amazing

No, not really. They do tend to spread their wings and come running when I call them and they think I got treats. I have had pullets who made it up a tree at about 1.5m heights.
Other than that they don't do much flying at all... But I have seen them fly straight up and would have easily made it over the fence if I didn't have netting on top when they got scared.
They are a really heavy bird, roosters up to 4kg, hens up to 3,5kg. It's amazing that they make it in the air at all. All in all I would say they don't fly unless they feel like they have to.
Thanks 🙏

Back
Top Bottom