Pics
I bought land about 50 km north of athens and hope to finish the house and move soon. salamina is too hot for chickens and there is a limit of 40 chickens/backyard.

isn't it funny how chickens can change our life? I am a city girl and have never thought of living in the country with poultry. I am very happy about my decision and can't wait to go. I will grow vegetables, corn, etc. as well and already talked to someone to exchange eggs for milk. later I will exchange my extra cockerels for meat (sheep, goat and wild boar). goodbye GMO, chemicals, etc.

Sounds similar to our plans, be prepared for everything to take much longer than you think it will except for growing weeds :eek:

I am afraid there will be no weeds in summer, lol.

building permit took much longer than I expected (bought land in may 2018, should get the permit (?) this week).
Fingers crossed for you.

We have wet winters here so despite the baking heat and summer droughts the hardier weeds (usually thorny ones) :barnie still grow!

Wow sounds like you guys have amazing things going on! Please keep us updated on house building / homestead plans! We were lucky this place came with 3 big walnuts, lots of hazelnuts, Mirabelle, heritage peaches, and apple tree, normal plums too. I've been doing a veg garden for 3 years now. Weeds are my biggest nightmare. Will be interesting to see if they are any better this year with the chickens spending the whole autumn / winter scratching around. Last year I was so fed up of the bindweed that I did black plastic on my tomato / pepper / aubergine / chilli area and it was amazing - totally reduced my stress with the weeds and had a much better harvest than normal. Plan to use much more of it this year - been doing the 'no dig' method and this is one of the organic ways mentioned of getting on top of the weeds, if you have it down a year or 2 it can actually properly kill all the roots of a lot of weeds.

Wow sounds like you guys have amazing things going on! Please keep us updated on house building / homestead plans! We were lucky this place came with 3 big walnuts, lots of hazelnuts, Mirabelle, heritage peaches, and apple tree, normal plums too. I've been doing a veg garden for 3 years now. Weeds are my biggest nightmare. Will be interesting to see if they are any better this year with the chickens spending the whole autumn / winter scratching around. Last year I was so fed up of the bindweed that I did black plastic on my tomato / pepper / aubergine / chilli area and it was amazing - totally reduced my stress with the weeds and had a much better harvest than normal. Plan to use much more of it this year - been doing the 'no dig' method and this is one of the organic ways mentioned of getting on top of the weeds, if you have it down a year or 2 it can actually properly kill all the roots of a lot of weeds.

I put bedding (with chicken manure) from the coops around the plants. no weed fertilization, lol.

Welcome @Applesandlemons !

I know I am romanticizing, but I envy all of you in the nice sunny regions with lovely fruit trees and gardens and all. Of course it takes a lot of hard work, but it just seems very tempting to move south.

Today's (actually much needed) rain turned my WHITE faverolles into this

35215268qr.jpg

35215269fj.jpg

35215270jf.jpg

I know the rooster is to blame for part of it, but I have no idea how she did this.

@Anaray Sorry, couldn't help but chuckle :lol: Mud mask is eggsellent for the skin I hear,;)

Next time we have a downpour I'll take photos of the geese. They like to make holes in the mud and stick their heads in there.... :eek:

Last edited:
[QUOTE="PouleChick, post: 21057757, member: 414906"I've been doing a veg garden for 3 years now. Weeds are my biggest nightmare. Will be interesting to see if they are any better this year with the chickens spending the whole autumn / winter scratching around. Last year I was so fed up of the bindweed that I did black plastic on my tomato / pepper / aubergine / chilli area and it was amazing - totally reduced my stress with the weeds and had a much better harvest than normal. Plan to use much more of it this year - been doing the 'no dig' method and this is one of the organic ways mentioned of getting on top of the weeds, if you have it down a year or 2 it can actually properly kill all the roots of a lot of weeds.[/QUOTE]

I'm investing in the black plastic this year try to keep some moisture in. Also need to cover a lot of veggies in black mesh to stop it from scorching in the heat. Pros and Cons of this climate!

Back
Top Bottom