Pics
Aw, they are lovely! I'm glad they're settling in. :)

That's such a nice space! I had no idea there were breeding clubs that provided areas for keeping chickens. Is this common in Germany? It sounds a bit like having an allotment (vegetable garden) for people with no gardens?

Yes, that's exactly what it is. You pay a yearly fee.. I got power at the coop. Water doesn't work.. but there is a well right outside my coop so that is no big deal. It is very common in Germany. You either have your Poultry breeding clubs.. or small animal breeding clubs which includes poultry and rabbits etc.

Yes, that's exactly what it is. You pay a yearly fee.. I got power at the coop. Water doesn't work.. but there is a well right outside my coop so that is no big deal. It is very common in Germany. You either have your Poultry breeding clubs.. or small animal breeding clubs which includes poultry and rabbits etc.

What an excellent option for urban dwellers! Congratulations on your first flock. Welcome to the Peeps in Europe thread. :ya

My Leghorn is taking food from my fingers! It's taken almost three months, progress has been slow and gradual but finally she started taking bits of peach peel that I offered. At first she'd snatch and dart off to the other end of the coop, but by the end of the session she was sticking around.
:yesss:

I'm looking forward to when she starts laying!

3 month? You're giving me hope! I guess I'm too impatient. Still waiting on the first eggs too. They've only been at my coop for 6 days.

*LOL*

Well, the Araucana and Marans that I got together with the Leghorn ate from my hand a lot sooner. They come to meet before I get to the gate and follow closely as I carefully (to avoid stepping on them!) make my way to the coop. I can touch them and pick them up (which I don't often do). I'm not used to such friendly chickens! :D

Lucky you! Mine still stay to the side. Even after I put food into their feeder. Only when I back off will they come eat. I know they need more time... sigh. :idunno

Lucky you! Mine still stay to the side. Even after I put food into their feeder. Only when I back off will they come eat. I know they need more time... sigh. :idunno

My other three hens that are like that and I've had them for longer than the three I've mentioned. :confused:

Actually, those used to be a lot tamer, but one of the dogs got into their enclosure one night and chased them. Many feathers were lost and the chickens were seriously traumatised, though thankfully they lived. They have not been the same since. :hmm I need to spend more time with these three.

Back
Top Bottom