Pics
I was thinking the same thing. I’ve been in Austria for 10 plus and I still get lost with all the different accents here and reading and writing I’m horrible. I use a translator to help my son with his German homework still.
Oh thanks to Google! I understand your frustrations! My wife and I made an agreement...she helps with German and I do all the other subjects. But then my son went off to Gymnasium! OMG!!! By his 9th year, he was studying at the level I had my freshman year in college! So I feel you! At work they tell me that my writing skills are fine, but I guess it's not good enough for the wife....a man can never please his wife, unless there is a gift coming:lau.

Astrid, Astrid :rolleyes:, what ever were you thinking of! Not at my old age :old....it's more her pleasing me now, by feeding me my porridge 3x a day 🍵🍵🍵

Inform Mike that I feel his frustation, German grammar sucks!

NOW a chicken topic! For the past 4 days, all three hens are laying! I guess the winter is over for them! Fine by me so I don't have to buy so many! That also means....Scotch eggs for Saturday's breakfast! ummm ummm!

Why John, I have no idea what you are talking about!! what does age have to do with it? What were YOU thinking of???!!! :lol::rolleyes:

I'm happy for you that your chicken are laying. Only chickens in one group are laying for me. But I do get 1 or 2 eggs per day. The way things were going before, I guess I'm a happy camper.
I thought the one hen was being harshly treated by the rooster. All her neck feathers were gone. Found out today that that is a special way of molting. Neck molting. The weather we were having might have something to do with it. I thought she is too young to go thru molting.
Spent the whole morning cleaning out the coop. Washing the nest boxes and putting in more hay. I am trying out a new bedding... hemp. It's supposed to be real good and more efficient, last longer and sucks up more water etc. I'll let you know what I think of it.

I love hemp! It' what we have as bedding. I put it on the coop floor in June and the kids exchanged it out during the holidays. Betzi cleans it every third day and what she likes the must....it doesn't stink! Even during the summer when it was +30° C it did not stink. The only downside is it takes up to a year to break down in the compost. I was going to cover the run for the winter with it, but the cost would have been too much, so I went with pine shavings we got from a local mill.

I use very little bedding from the shop. In summer I collect gras from my lawn and turn it into hay when the weather forecast says ‘no rain is coming up’. The hay is primary for the nextboxes. I mix it with wood shavings in summer or straw in winter to keep it airy. Underneath is a layer of sand with DA and a little tabaco or lavender to prevent a red mite infestation.

When I change the bedding in the nestboxes I use it a second time. Under the roosts. I also use autumn leaves and sand on the drop boards. This goes on the compost heap after cleaning. My coops don’t smell. In the small coop sleep only 2 chickens. The bigger coop its extremely airy. The poo dries up. I clean approx every 2 weeks. Only when it rains for a long time it starts to stink and I clean earlier as planned.

On the covered run floor I use sand. My girls don't poop there. I clean it a bit like once a month.

During the day they often hang around in the larger run with netting. I finally managed to make the soil healthy. By putting loads of autumn leaves and compost in the larger run. The poo vanishes into the soil now. Insects such as flies, earthworms and plants change the poop in the soil. Berry bushes, grasses (I think barley sprouts - left overs of the grains I scatter) and other greenery grow there. I love it this way. Little work and a healthy mini-ecosystem. Maybe I should write an article on this one.

I love hemp! It' what we have as bedding. I put it on the coop floor in June and the kids exchanged it out during the holidays. Betzi cleans it every third day and what she likes the must....it doesn't stink! Even during the summer when it was +30° C it did not stink. The only downside is it takes up to a year to break down in the compost. I was going to cover the run for the winter with it, but the cost would have been too much, so I went with pine shavings we got from a local mill.

I’m going to have to look into this hemp bedding. What breeds of chickens does everyone have? Most of mine lay all winter less but still lay, and just yesterday 1 went broody.

I use Bionesto, and wouldn't want to use anything else. It's basically small straw pellets made for chickens and rabbits, that you can buy from the Raiffeisenmarkt. The chickens tread it down and it stays super dry. I have it sent to me, because they don't sell it in my local Raiffeisenmarkt. For the nests I use flax straw.

bild.jpg bild (1).jpg

I have Sulmtaler. They didn't lay like at all almost since I got them. I guess the change, molting and who knows what else. One group of 4 hens finally decited to lay late December and have faithfully given me 1-2 eggs per day. Last week I even got 10 eggs. So it looks like things are picking up.
So, are you going to let her hatch some chicks?

Back
Top Bottom