Who turned the heater down? I woke up this morning in my little corner of God's favorite land, Bavaria and I was cold! The morning air smelt like the air in September with that little hint of freshness. I looked out at my 3 ladies and they were all huddled around the feeder clucking away like they were on a coffee break. Normally, they never share the feeder, this late in the morning (their coop door opens at 05:00, it was 07:00) Then on the local radio, they state the this will be a cool summer and that by the end of August summer will be over. What? Finished? Done for? It never started! The past 20 years, we have had 6 week periods of +30°C ...so far we have had only a two days of weather over 27°C! That's nothing! I demand my summer! Who has Mother Nature's phone number or email? I can not allow this to happen! I demand my hot summer!

So, how are you all doing? Enjoying your Friday?

So to keep this bird related, what should we do with so many quail eggs? We are getting at least 30 eggs a week, plus the 20 or so from my girls. Can't sell them and the neighbors are no longer interested in quail eggs.

Oh well, all I can say is, "Thank God it's Friday!"

Who turned the heater down? I woke up this morning in my little corner of God's favorite land, Bavaria and I was cold! The morning air smelt like the air in September with that little hint of freshness. I looked out at my 3 ladies and they were all huddled around the feeder clucking away like they were on a coffee break. Normally, they never share the feeder, this late in the morning (their coop door opens at 05:00, it was 07:00) Then on the local radio, they state the this will be a cool summer and that by the end of August summer will be over. What? Finished? Done for? It never started! The past 20 years, we have had 6 week periods of +30°C ...so far we have had only a two days of weather over 27°C! That's nothing! I demand my summer! Who has Mother Nature's phone number or email? I can not allow this to happen! I demand my hot summer!

So to keep this bird related, what should we do with so many quail eggs? We are getting at least 30 eggs a week, plus the 20 or so from my girls. Can't sell them and the neighbors are no longer interested in quail eggs.

Hope this forecasting for Bayern is lousy. We dont need lots of cold and rain on our holidays.

On Sunday me and MDH are travelling to the south of Germany and CH. Time for a real vacation now. The borders are open but we do play it safe and rented two holliday houses for a week to enjoy some mountains and pretty places like Basel.

One of our neighbors is taking care of the chickens , the eggs and the pear tree 🍐 . The first pears are ready to eat.

Btw, you can use qual eggs in any dish with eggs. Just break 4 or 5 eggs instead of one. And if you have too much eggs you can boil them, put them in the freezer for upcoming winter or put a ‘Eggs for sale’ sign near the road.

yes, it was chilly. It has been a cooler summer than in recent years, that's a fact. But I can't say I'm complaining. I don't like heat... and yes, I lived in Texas... LOL

My Friday is pretty lousy. I just wanted to sell off my little chicks (well.. not so little anymore).. this Saturday... instead I will be writing and canceling. Last night I butchered 2 roosters and one hen out the 21. The one had issues and missing feathers around his butt and chest... I thought mites or something like that. So I was treating him with Balistol... He also smelled pretty bad when I picked him up. Well yesterday morning I noticed the little hen with a pretty poopy butt. She smelled the same. So no mites or other vermin...I put them in a cage and butchered them in the evening. Just as I was cleaning up I noticed another rooster with poopy butt. So I grabbed him and he joined the others. I know he would have gotten butchered anyways... None of those have good combs.... but still... I was saddend. But that was yesterday....today is Friday... well.. this morning one of the bigger roosters was sitting there huddeled like he was sick. He barely ran from me... almost able to just pick him up. Poopy butt. So now he is in the cage waiting for tonight. Last night I still believed that maybe those little chicks ate too much green. They are running on grass as well as they are cleaning out the grape plant that is in that run. They just love the green unripe grapes. I don't give them any... but if they fly up.... they can get some. Anyways... since this big rooster is having the same issue... I think it must be something else. Of course the coccidia could be an issue... they had that yellow poop again a few days ago. I just cannot give them more medication. They have to fight it themselves... Otherwise they can't build up immunity to the coccidia. So, I am expecting to lose more birds...
Next year they will get their immunization for coccidia and then things should be better... :hit

yes, it was chilly. It has been a cooler summer than in recent years, that's a fact. But I can't say I'm complaining. I don't like heat... and yes, I lived in Texas... LOL

My Friday is pretty lousy. I just wanted to sell off my little chicks (well.. not so little anymore).. this Saturday... instead I will be writing and canceling. Last night I butchered 2 roosters and one hen out the 21. The one had issues and missing feathers around his butt and chest... I thought mites or something like that. So I was treating him with Balistol... He also smelled pretty bad when I picked him up. Well yesterday morning I noticed the little hen with a pretty poopy butt. She smelled the same. So no mites or other vermin...I put them in a cage and butchered them in the evening. Just as I was cleaning up I noticed another rooster with poopy butt. So I grabbed him and he joined the others. I know he would have gotten butchered anyways... None of those have good combs.... but still... I was saddend. But that was yesterday....today is Friday... well.. this morning one of the bigger roosters was sitting there huddeled like he was sick. He barely ran from me... almost able to just pick him up. Poopy butt. So now he is in the cage waiting for tonight. Last night I still believed that maybe those little chicks ate too much green. They are running on grass as well as they are cleaning out the grape plant that is in that run. They just love the green unripe grapes. I don't give them any... but if they fly up.... they can get some. Anyways... since this big rooster is having the same issue... I think it must be something else. Of course the coccidia could be an issue... they had that yellow poop again a few days ago. I just cannot give them more medication. They have to fight it themselves... Otherwise they can't build up immunity to the coccidia. So, I am expecting to lose more birds...
Next year they will get their immunization for coccidia and then things should be better... :hit
I am sorry you and your birds are having such an awful time :hugs

We've only been in Italy for nearly two years now - first Spring and Summer - scorchio !

This one ? Meh - have only just hit 30c a couple of times - this time last year, we were racing towards 40c and hardly able to sleep. I am still under the duvet at night ! in July !

And the rain ?!! So. Much. Rain.

Shouldn't complain though - ducks love it and saves a few rounds of plant watering.

Happy Friday Peeps in Europe !

Ooh on the quail eggs - have you got dogs or know anyone who does ?

Any form of egg, with or without shells, makes awesome dog food, especially if they are recovering from something.

Our spare eggs after people have had enough and theres too much cake in the house, go to our dogs. Still way cheaper than buying high quality dog food.

@Papa John59 ... why don't you guys do some mouth to mouth advertising.. your son is in some clubs (Verein) Just make it known that you guys have quail eggs for sale. You could even make a little box outside to put the eggs. People take the eggs out and place money in the mail box. Just a little money to pay for the feed.

send us some freshness and rain and we shall send you some heat, lol.

I always feed my animals with the boiled (extra) eggs. instead of feeding chicken feed I give them grains, vegetables and boiled eggs. they are happy and continue laying nice and tasty eggs. my dogs love the eggs as well. when I had cats I fed them eggs, too. unfortunately my new dogs (german shepherds) are not cats friendly so my cats moved out. luckily there are cat lovers who feed them.

boil some basil, oregano and thyme and add it (mayby 1 tbs to 1l of water) to their drinking water for at least 2 weeks. make sure to make it fresh daily. that is a natural remedy for cocci.

@abpatchy Lady, you can't catch a break this year! Sorry about your problems! Oh and tell Mike, Happy 4th of July! I'm not in the mood to drive up to Vilseck for the activities, since I no longer play softball.

@BDutch, enjoy the holiday! I love Basel! Be safe on the autobahn! Come home and share with us your tales of travel.

@chickengr sending all the rainy weather as possible! Today it is 26°C and I'm enjoying it! But alas, tomorrow is a different story.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions to sale the eggs. But we don't have a permit to sell our eggs. Just have to find new friends to give them to.

So everyone enjoy your weekend, no matter where you are at!

Back
Top Bottom