I had a 2 adult bantam roosters. Their ‘kukeleku’ was too early, too noisy and too skrieky. They woke me and dome of the neighbours up too early In spring. So they had to leave in april as soon as I had a broody. This was a real pity bc they where both really beautiful.

I have small bantams because they make less poop, need less space and eat less. The eggs are small, but I don't sell them and I just need 2 eggs instead of 1 in recipes to cook. Not bad an egg thats over 30 g for a chicken that weighs only 600-700 g.

If I had bigger chickens I could have no more than 3 or 4 max. Now I have 8. L to see the interaction.

I don’t understand why people don’t eat (the good parts of) bantams. I remember eating wild pigeon as a child. The meat was very tasty. A bantam is even bigger.
And people eat quails. Don't they? Quails are even smaller.

Well fancy that. I was down by the run this morning, and I don't normally take a good look at my birds. But there was something I have been suspecting for a while, but wasn't sure....
I have one brown Rooster! So I take back what I said about all the brown ones always being hens. He's probably a fluke, but he's definitely a rooster. So another nice roast for the oven..

Wonderfull post Erba.
If I ever breed, it’s just for nice and healthy chickens. Mixing genes from time to time is a good thing to do for a healthy flock.

I would like it though if there was a breeder somewhere that was breeding chickens with roosters that don’t give the alarm 🚨. It would be great to have a bantam rooster that doesn’t wake me and the neighbourhood up every morning at sunrise 🌅 .

my boys sometimes wake me up during night! I guess there are mice running around so they are saying: we protect our girls 24 h a day!

I know exactly what you mean!! Bantam from hell... that sounds about right!!! :lol:

Well, I guess some people like to have small chickens because of space.
Breeders is another story. When you breed large birds you need lots of space for all the chicks. Bantams need less space... so you can breed more chicks... have more chicks to choose from... better chance of getting better birds (according to the standard of perfection)... they eat less.

Most of the breeders who have small birds don't use the meat... some don't even bother with the eggs... they really just breeding for breeding's sake.
It's a shame in my opinion...

I prefer big dual purpose chickens. but a small ball - pekin roo was talking to me, found a grain and was calling me to feed me, lol, so I have 2 pairs of pekin chicken now. at the beginning of my chicken odyssey I didn't even think of bantams.

I prefer big dual purpose chickens. but a small ball - pekin roo was talking to me, found a grain and was calling me to feed me, lol, so I have 2 pairs of pekin chicken now. at the beginning of my chicken odyssey I didn't even think of bantams.

So do I... my Sulmtaler are big enough (up to 4kg) and lay enough eggs for me.

Did you eat the grain? That is sooo cute though!! My roosters saw my husband today and warned everybody even though he gave them some apple not too long before... LOL He's usually not at the coop.

I love the crowing too... a nice deep crow is wonderful. But that little guy was driving me nuts.

Oh and by the way.... I got my first egg from my "chicks" today... They are exactly 5 month old today... 40g... a good start.
117195420_782341062576178_8628719995043035386_n.jpg

I used the hot weather here yesterday, to clean the coop and scrub everything down. So while taking everything out I found where my 'Sussex hen had secretly been laying her eggs. Right in the corner behind the actual nest hut. And there I was, following her around the garden and looking myself for her stash. LOL. Anyway I took the second nest box out of there all together now, because none of them used it, and apparently the corner of the coop makes a far better nest ...🤦‍♀️

Gosh... I kinda had the same idea... I have a room at the coop where I keep the feed and everything I keep there. I never cleaned it after taking over the coop. So much stuff just stuffed onto the shelf.... We (hubby helped) took out the shelf and feed... everything. Wiped down the spiderwebs and scubbed the floor cleaned the window. Everything looks neat again. So happy!!! The work itself wasn't so bad... but the heat! We're supposed to get up to 37°C... that is 98°F... Texas temps with no a/c....
While I was at the coop another young hen layed an egg... beautiful 40g egg again... into the nest and then announced it loudly. I am so proud of her!! Good girl!!

@Erba at least you found the eggs before they got bad and exploded! :cool:

I have obviously upset her by cleaning the coop... she made a nest in the same place, it's just not as secluded as it was. No eggs there though! Now who knows where she is laying her eggs. CHICKENS!! 🤦‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom