I am driving, so cannot write much. I use Neem oil for all plant issues. I have used it and planning to use again on chicken, coop, chicks, etc. By itself does not kill mites/lice. I mix it with Spinosad or other anti-lice/mites liquid. I spray everything, including chicken, coop and small chicks. No problems. Spinosad is not available in Europe (last year), I bought it from the USA. Try mixing with permethrine based spray

I have found the perfect breeder pens, that I want to build. I`m doing a bit of adjustments on the dimentions, but other than that, they totally suit the space I have to work with. I have been umming and ahing for ages on what sort of pen I could build, that doesn't need a huge space and a lot of long lumber (that I can't transport)... i am a happy camper now, after finally finding a design I like and can work with.

Attachments

• breeder box.png
    breeder box.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • inside breeder pen.png
    inside breeder pen.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 7
  • removable perch.png
    removable perch.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 6
They are nice!!!! but little small for Sussex... or will you add a little run? How would you use them?
Well... we moved a lot of 2m lumber in our Opel Corsa.... hahaha... it worked... and the back even closed. One time we rented a van from Bauhaus. That went well too.

They will be a bit bigger, I'm making them 2x2m, because of transport and they are only in there to #1 clear the hen or hens I want to breed with then #2 add the rooster I want and to breed with her/them, then collect the eggs. After that, they can return to the flock and the next candidates go in. Eventually I want three of them, but I have to build the prototype first, and see how that goes and what it costs. My Sussex don't mind being confined, it is more me that likes them to be out and about. I have had no problems with them, staying in the coop and run with the bird flu. Two hens and a rooster should be just fine in them.

They will be a bit bigger, I'm making them 2x2m, because of transport and they are only in there to #1 clear the hen or hens I want to breed with then #2 add the rooster I want and to breed with her/them, then collect the eggs. After that, they can return to the flock and the next candidates go in. Eventually I want three of them, but I have to build the prototype first, and see how that goes and what it costs. My Sussex don't mind being confined, it is more me that likes them to be out and about. I have had no problems with them, staying in the coop and run with the bird flu. Two hens and a rooster should be just fine in them.
So cool!!! I built those rooster pens last year... which I can use for mating as well. They are about 1.5m x 2m... but the coop area is above that... so they have a little more space that way. It works out so well! Also if you want to separate an animal. If you make them closed up enough they can work as an aditional coop in case of bird flu. Give the girls a break after mating season. Love mine! I am sure you will too.... In case you need hardware cloth I got mine at Heka (Hatching machines) They had a best deal I found. All in all I spend about 2000 Euros on mine :hit But I wouldn't want to miss them.

I saw a german video on youtube (I believe) about Lohman browns... they have a breeding program and the Lohman browns are the grandchildren. Third generation of different breedings. What realy is in there is a well kept secret. Of course.. they ship all the parents and the Lohman browns all over the world... It's a huge business. But so sad for the birds having to produce them.
AHH, so the browns are a 3rd generation. This is a new thing. I was planning to find a white Plymouth Rock rooster in the summer, but I guess I will stick to my RIR over white Leghorn. And I am planning to put my RIR rooster with these ISA/Loghman browns to see what happens. Thank you for the information, really interesting.
LF is "large fowl"... so the big chickens... or regular sized.. hahaha... and then you have bantams. :lol:
Thank you, I am used to SZ, standard size 🙂
My chicken yard is about 30 m2, I have about 120 m2 yard left. But the dogs need some space and my feggies and my fruit and flowers.
LF means large fowl.
Are your dog's coping well with the chicken? You can train them to live together. I gave up veggies because of the chicken.
I have some czech green egger hybrids. almost half of them died before 8 mo. I am not going to get hybrids again except black sex link who prooved to be tough, at least those ones I can get here.
Black hybrids, do you mean Harco/Super Harco?

Back
Top Bottom