Yup. If you have ever looked at British birds, it should be obvious, they breed to a different Standard, and the birds do look very different.

British bird:
Light-Sussex-Hen.jpg
sussex-wsc-2.png
German bird

The British go for the Cochin look and have a shorter stance. They do that with labrador dogs too, they also have shorter legs, I suppose they like it like that.

Yup. If you have ever looked at British birds, it should be obvious, they breed to a different Standard, and the birds do look very different.

British bird:View attachment 2880812View attachment 2880815German bird

The British go for the Cochin look and have a shorter stance. They do that with labrador dogs too, they also have shorter legs, I suppose they like it like that.
I know different countries breed to different standards.... I was aware of that. But I would have thought they are british....with that name!! Very interesting!

From what I know I need to separate for at least 2 weeks so the hen can cleanup from the 'wrong' fertilization. Except with this mama Silkie - 1. she lays 6 eggs, 2. goes broody, 3. hatches, 4. they all go together with the rest of the flock, 5. at some point she decides to abandon the chicks, 6. A rooster mates and back to point 1.
Points 5 and 6 usually happen very quickly, within a day or so and I miss that period. Anyway I will probably end up hatching Silkies in an incubator next year.

Brace yourselves... the bird flu is on the rise again. From what I heard The Netherlands have already put the chickens in lockdown. There are some areas in northern Germany that are in lockdown already. Some dead animals were found in Bavaria in the south. I just read that the UK has a first case again as well.
There have been talk about vaccinations...
I am just so tired of all of this...:(
It’s in Czech republic too☹️

Back
Top Bottom