@Erba
What I tried and worked for me, depending on the reason why
  • Keep them locked up for a few days (wanting to breed somewhere outside )
  • Feed some scratch in the run, just before sunset or whenever you lock them in (training to return for a snack)
  • Watch them before sunset (tip from chickengr) to see where they sleep and be able to catch them.
  • Make a second coop where the young ones can sleep (to prevent bullying)
On the 26 april (kings day) and 5 may (liberation day) there are festivities in lots of places in the NL (if there are no covid restrictions).

@Erba
What I tried and worked for me, depending on the reason why
  • Keep them locked up for a few days (wanting to breed somewhere outside )
  • Feed some scratch in the run, just before sunset or whenever you lock them in (training to return for a snack)
  • Watch them before sunset (tip from chickengr) to see where they sleep and be able to catch them.
  • Make a second coop where the young ones can sleep (to prevent bullying)
On the 26 april (kings day) and 5 may (liberation day) there are festivities in lots of places in the NL (if there are no covid restrictions).
You're a day early kings day is on 27 of april, but if it's free market it starts around here on the 26 at 11 pm.

I have the same problem, been 3 months now, and every evening I have to get them down off the trees before it gets too dark and then they won’t come down anymore :he the only thing is tio get them not too early, or they will fly up again, and not too late, cos then they can’t see and will totally refuse to leave the tree. I hat selling my chickens, but I am so fed up I am thinking about it :(

I have the same problem, been 3 months now, and every evening I have to get them down off the trees before it gets too dark and then they won’t come down anymore :he the only thing is tio get them not too early, or they will fly up again, and not too late, cos then they can’t see and will totally refuse to leave the tree. I hat selling my chickens, but I am so fed up I am thinking about it :(
do you just have Orpingtons or do you have other breeds as well. My neighbor is breeding Orpingtons and they hardly ever fly. I am just guessing because of your name.

What about leaving them locked up in the coop for a few days. They might get used to sleeping in the coop again.

I am so lucky... my Sulmtaler are the first ones in our breeding club that go inside to roost in the evening.

I love Orpingtons and tried keeping them 3 times, somehow, we are not a good fit :confused: The 1st batch 1,3 the hen pulled feathers, 1,2 another hen had problems with inflammation of the intestine, 1,1 the last hen succumbed to ovarial cancer, 1,0 then the rooster got aggressive when my son entered the coop , so 0,0 2. attempt with Orpington I got 4 roosters and 2 hens, one of them ate too many cherry pits and died, the other one also had inflamation of the intestine, last try 1,1 i bought them , they were sick and after looking after them for 2 months I decided my Orpington experiment failed :( I have lots of other chickens, most of them green eggers
the tree sleepers do sometimes sleep in the barn when it is very cold…I did have to lock them up last year cos of the avian flu, but after that, they went back to sleeping in the trees :mad:

Back
Top Bottom