Sorry to hear about the bad luck and bad behaviour. @MotherofOrpies . And of course a warm welcome to this thread.

Sometimes you bring health and behavioural problems to you’re backyard when you buy from people who keep chickens just for a bit of fun and profit. It’s can make a difference if you buy chicks from a reliable, good hearted person who likes to help other byc chicken keepers. They tend to give good advices too.

Sometimes the problem is the coop and run you have for the chickens. Can you post a few pictures and give the sizes?
Chickens need lots of fresh air and enough space in the coop to walk around. If the chickens like their coop it’s not a problem for them to sleep inside. It can be important to have a window in the coop to go inside. Chickens prefer daylight in the coop if they start to roost.

Maybe you can lock them up for the night in a combination of a coop + small safe covered run. This is nice for the chickens in the morning too. To be able to go out themselves, after sunrise.

It’s quit difficult to change habits if the chickens have the habit of roosting somewhere outside. It can take weeks before they alter their habits and go to sleep where you want them. Giving a treat/ some scratch every evening in the run where you lock them in can help.

The best solution if you have this problem for several months with adult chickens probably is to build a large run attached to the coop/ safe run. And keep the chickens locked up for a few months.

Well, I did have to keep them „cooped“ up last year for a few months cos of avian flu, when I let them range free after that, back to the trees they went :rolleyes: I fear it is the breed, they are Silverudd blah, they love their freedom and also lay their eggs not where they are supposed to ( not all of them ) ...
If all the chickens had problems, I would think it’s how they are living, but all my other chickens are happy and lay eggs at all ages ( did I mention my 9 year old hen has started laying again?)
I got 2 of the Orpington from reputable breeders , the last pair really was a BIG mistake, I got them off Ebay ( Christmas present from my hubby) and when I got there, they told me ( after I had bought them) that they had bought their Orpingtons from all over, my rooster had an old injury ( dislocated toe) and I just got the hen cos I bought a rooster ...

That was not a reputable breeder then... a good breeder does not get his birds from all over. And he/she would not sell a hurt animal. Horrible how some people just try to make money. I am really sorry that you had a bad experience.
Is there a way for you to cover your run with netting? It could be the breed. You'd think they should be happy to have a coop and be out of the weather. I really don't have an answer for you on how to change that behavior.

I love Orpingtons and tried keeping them 3 times, somehow, we are not a good fit :confused: The 1st batch 1,3 the hen pulled feathers, 1,2 another hen had problems with inflammation of the intestine, 1,1 the last hen succumbed to ovarial cancer, 1,0 then the rooster got aggressive when my son entered the coop , so 0,0 2. attempt with Orpington I got 4 roosters and 2 hens, one of them ate too many cherry pits and died, the other one also had inflamation of the intestine, last try 1,1 i bought them , they were sick and after looking after them for 2 months I decided my Orpington experiment failed :( I have lots of other chickens, most of them green eggers
the tree sleepers do sometimes sleep in the barn when it is very cold…I did have to lock them up last year cos of the avian flu, but after that, they went back to sleeping in the trees :mad:

I gave up orpingtons too. they had respiratory issues and couldn't live through the summer heat here.

I have never had health issues with my Light Sussex, except once, where a couple of young ones died of no apparent cause. I think it was some bad genetic thing going on there. I haven't seen it in last years hatch, so I think it is gone, along with a lot of hens and roosters. I need to fix my cone holder, it has come away from the wall, but then I will be putting chicken roasts into the freezer, I am down to just one in there, so it's time to stock up again.

I think a lot of chickens here are inbred. that's why I am trying to hatch my chicken eggs where I can control breeding. I am thinking to keep less breeds. silkies for sure, rumpless araucanas (have to find a roo), maybe pekins (bantam cochin) and a few egg layers just for eggs that can be kept with any other breed. I have a small flock of white leghorns, 1+6, and plan to sell the roo and 3-4 hens. so the remaining hens can stay with araucanas, their eggs will never get mixed up, lol.

silkies for sure, rumpless araucanas (have to find a roo), maybe pekins (bantam cochin)
Harry Potter Lol GIF by Sky

Congratulations @AnnaWolf for the new member of the family!!!
Welcome to @MotherofOrpies ! I have also given up on Orpingtons... not my breed I guess.
And greetings to the rest from snowy South Bulgaria. We have about 10cm of snow, and -10C this morning. And yes, I also have chicken and turkey sleeping on the trees and they do survive the cold and the wild animals. I don't bother bringing them inside as I can't reach them.
I have a broody due to hatch in 10 days...
@chickengr are you able to find Cockspur grass around you? My lab results just came out - wheat - 11.38% protein, Cockspur grass - 11.13% protein. I.e. almost the same. So I am better buying Cockspur grass than wheat as it is half price.
And yes @BDutch it is always good to feed the chicken a variety of grains and I did that when I had 10-15 chicken. Now I have over a 100 birds and I have other things that I am considering when buying food (including the weight of the bags believe it or not, as someone needs to carry these bags from the vehicle to the barn)... I wish I could travel to the NL just to buy eggs! But I cannot find anyone to feed my dog in my absence. He is a guard dog, protects my chicken and he doesn't allow anybody external in the garden.

@chickengr are you able to find Cockspur grass around you? My lab results just came out - wheat - 11.38% protein, Cockspur grass - 11.13% protein. I.e. almost the same. So I am better buying Cockspur grass than wheat as it is half price.

there is no cockspur grass here. not much choice at all.

we had - 2C and about 2-3 cm of snow - not for long though.

Back
Top Bottom