They obviously are spread in West Africa. But I never saw these type of flies here in the Netherlands.
They sell them on Marktplaats 🙂
They are wide spread in Europe. In fact Netherlands has the largest factory for BSF larvae in Europe. In London several small companies are located in urban areas. In France too. In the USA (I read it here on another thread) some chickeners breed/raise ? them at home to feed their chicken with the larvae. I would like to do the same just can't find life larvae here and I can't be bothered to catch one from nature. There are several YouTube videos how to build a trap for the fly, attract it and catch it from nature and start your own colony (cultivation of BSF).
On the outside it is so similar to domestic fly that I don't know if I would be able to recognise them at first.

Last edited:
I just watched this video and I was surprised to see that they are able to check the fertility of the eggs before placing in the incubator and vaccinate the eggs before hatch. Somebody here told me they did that during the Communism in the large hatcheries but I didn't believe the person as I didn't know such technology exists..

I have been buying ISA brown eggs from France and hatching them and I have to say I am disappointed with the number of infertile eggs they export - more than 15%. They obviously don't have this machinery.

It's that time of the year. This weekend I will have two shows to go to with my birds. The local show and the specialty show. I had to get a lot of birds ready due to 2 shows at the same time. Wish me luck! Tomorrow I will have to take them to the shows. Saturday morning the judges will rate them. So nerveous! 😂

It's that time of the year. This weekend I will have two shows to go to with my birds. The local show and the specialty show. I had to get a lot of birds ready due to 2 shows at the same time. Wish me luck! Tomorrow I will have to take them to the shows. Saturday morning the judges will rate them. So nerveous! 😂

:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl

Good luck!!:jumpy

Back
Top Bottom