Pekin bantam colours

Chick 1
These remind me of some Columbian colored chicks I've seen, but not exactly.

Columbian is the color seen in Light Brahmas and Light Sussex, Buff Columbian is like Buff Brahma, and Delaware chickens are Columbian with white barring.

Your chicks remind me of some of those. I think I'm seeing buff in at least one, and maybe white barring as well. Maybe a barred buff Columbian for chick 2?

3 I have three of these, I thought they where black mottled but they have brown patches
I think they will grow up to have some combination of brown and black-- maybe a laced or double laced or partridge pattern, or maybe not that well organized but still showing both colors. They remind me of the color & markings of some Laced chicks I've seen, but I don't think they're quite the same.

4 actually black mottled? It’s chick down is a lot more silvery then chick 3
I would guess black, without mottling. Many black chicks look like that, and it's fairly common for black chickens to have some white feathers when they are young, and become solid black later. (If it's a cross of colors, then it might be black with white or gold leakage when it grows up, depending on what other genes it's got.)

The chicks I've seen that were black with mottling had a lot less black in their down.

I got these chicks from someone, they might be mixture of colours, no clue what colour the parents are,

It can be hard to tell adult color from chick down, especially when they could be a mix. So what I said above are just guesses, based on them looking sort-of like some chicks I have seen. I'd love to see photos when they are older, to see how they look as they grow up!

The brown chick with stripes looks like the "wild type" chick color. That means it's what the wild jungle fowl (ancestors of domestic chickens) would have looked like. Sometimes people call them "chipmunk" chicks, too.

Black Breasted Red chickens have chicks that color, as do Welsummers and Brown Leghorns and female Cream Legbars. I've also seen that pattern of down on Dark Cornish chicks, Spangled Russian Orloff chicks, and some Easter Eggers. I'm probably forgetting a few more, too. It's actually pretty common, once you start looking at chicken breeds that are not solid white or black.

Chicks with that color tend to grow up with some pattern of black and brown/red/gold, but they don't all look the same.

Chicks that look like a penguin often grow up to be black. If you already know it's a mix, I'm guessing one parent was black, blue, or perhaps white. (Genetically, blue is a modified black, and many whites are also "black" chickens that have a particular gene turning all black to white. So their babies are sometimes black, if they don't get the modifier gene.)
Wow! Chicken breeds are kinda all over the place! Excited to see what these fluffs grow up to be!

These remind me of some Columbian colored chicks I've seen, but not exactly.

Columbian is the color seen in Light Brahmas and Light Sussex, Buff Columbian is like Buff Brahma, and Delaware chickens are Columbian with white barring.

Your chicks remind me of some of those. I think I'm seeing buff in at least one, and maybe white barring as well. Maybe a barred buff Columbian for chick 2?

I think they will grow up to have some combination of brown and black-- maybe a laced or double laced or partridge pattern, or maybe not that well organized but still showing both colors. They remind me of the color & markings of some Laced chicks I've seen, but I don't think they're quite the same.

I would guess black, without mottling. Many black chicks look like that, and it's fairly common for black chickens to have some white feathers when they are young, and become solid black later. (If it's a cross of colors, then it might be black with white or gold leakage when it grows up, depending on what other genes it's got.)

The chicks I've seen that were black with mottling had a lot less black in their down.

It can be hard to tell adult color from chick down, especially when they could be a mix. So what I said above are just guesses, based on them looking sort-of like some chicks I have seen. I'd love to see photos when they are older, to see how they look as they grow up!
Thank you! I will be updating this thread as they grow. I was expecting that you can only guess at what colour they are at this age, I just wanted to know what sort of thing they might grow up in too. I am happy that the black ones might not grow up black!

Woop, someone told me here so I took it😅 Anyway, then what can she be? And what can the father be?

I got them from a inhumane chicken market who just cram chickens in a nasty place. So I just bought em and quarantined em
You can tell she’s not a purebred leghorn because of her crest- the tuft of feathers on top of her head. I’m guessing she’s a leghorn mix or a legbar mix.
The father also looks like a leghorn mix.

I got these chicks from someone, they might be mixture of colours, no clue what colour the parents are, I did get shown what the breeder thought chick 2 might look like it was barred, orange and white. any idea what colour they are?

Chick 1
View attachment 2787464View attachment 2787465
View attachment 2787466View attachment 2787467
3 I have three of these, I thought they where black mottled but they have brown patches
View attachment 2787468View attachment 2787469
4 actually black mottled? It’s chick down is a lot more silvery then chick 3

View attachment 2787470
View attachment 2787472
65AB163A-D492-4E06-B111-54D6E1B11A9E.jpeg
3F53AA43-10B3-459A-9FB5-EFD2407D3849.jpeg

133CEF7C-13EE-4640-911A-538C6DC63DCA.jpeg

DBE41077-79F7-45F2-90F6-1570A275D87C.jpeg
DA7793B0-A542-4B23-988B-9A8F1F489595.jpeg

11FFE41D-2F53-4D60-9C83-FA44834F15B1.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom