Pekin Broody sometimes?

Quackygal84

Chirping
Jun 9, 2020
Pekin broody 3 mornings in a row, then these last 2 days back to normal. What's going on? I candled them and 4 looked fertile but probably dead since Mom hasn't been sitting on them. Haven't had babies yet, so new to this! TIA!

Ducks don’t just go broody for a couple of hours - they either are getting ready to go broody, they are, or they aren’t. If she’s truly broody she will stay on the eggs all day and all night. Development takes a couple of days of purposeful incubation.

Ducks don’t just go broody for a couple of hours - they either are getting ready to go broody, they are, or they aren’t. If she’s truly broody she will stay on the eggs all day and all night. Development takes a couple of days of purposeful incubation.
Does it just mean she's about to go broody? She was hissing and protective of the eggs which I've never seen before

Does it just mean she's about to go broody? She was hissing and protective of the eggs which I've never seen before
I would say yes, it certainly could be a sign. With chickens, I wait and see if they sit on the nest for two consecutive nights in a row, only getting up once or twice to eat / drink / bathe / poop.

Back
Top Bottom