Pekin - Bumblefoot

@Isaac 0 @KaleIAm @fatty and friends
That needs to be drained. I personally don't think its gonna heal without surgery, and its likely full of puss. I'm not an expert, but the people I tagged have more experience. Hopefully they can give you expert advice soon.

Give her a soak for 20 minutes, then flip her over and try to pull the plug, (ball) away from her skin. Soaking can help loosen the plug and eventually, with enough soaking time, you can pull it out. That is what I so when it comes to surgery. It seems way less invasive, but sometimes it gets so big that this approach doesn't work. Even removing the plug with this tactic may require squeezing puss out. Sorry about your girl. :hugs
Thanks for the tag.

I've never had it this bad and always go to the vet when I have had more minor cases. Personally if this duck were mine I would take her to an avian vet, but most people just treat at home. I would follow Isaac's advice if I couldn't see a vet.

I can recommend very soft surfaces.

Usually when people refer to the "plug" They are talking about the puss core. You would need to cut into the foot to see that.
I was lucky that the plug came to the surface on my ducks foot, not that she would consider it lucky. I guess it all boils down to how long it's been going on and where it's at. My little buff duck had bumblefoot on the end of her toe and the plug was so big that I had to make a tiny cut on the side of the hole for the plug to come out. That's so heartbreaking

Thanks everyone - I know my vet doesn’t see ducks but they had a name for me last time I called. I will find out how close to me and update.

Aw I hope your baby does okay, It sure is cool that she is so sweet and still comes to you. Seems to me like she's a real keeper and would definitely benefit from a vet visit. That foot looks a little worse than some others that I've seen, but lots of birds get bumble foot and get better fast. Will be praying for her.

A veterinarian experienced with fowl will always be the best route to take, but in the case that you can't see one (as many can't), it would probably be best to start treatment on the area before it advances in size. Start soaking the scab in an antiseptic solution such as chlorhexidine to help loosen the scab and disinfect any superficial bacteria. Dilute Hydrocortisone or DMSO can be applied to the tissue before surgery to act as a topical anaesthetic.

A sharp scalpel will work well at digging into the tissue. If you are able to get the material out, you can flush (lavage) it well, and pack it with an antibacterial ointment. I recommend, and bandage all my birds post bumblefoot surgery.

I would probably start the bird on antibiotics afterwards, and as well as start her on anti-inflammatory medication for a week or two.

Is the surgery painful without proper anaesthetics by a vet (?) - of course, it is, but one should realize that left progress the bird would likely be left to deal with much more long-term pain.

Back
Top Bottom