Pekin drake can’t walk well

Ben10

In the Brooder
Feb 12, 2021
So this issue is already being treated, however I just wanted some other opinions. I have a male pekin (8 weeks old) he’s grown at alarming rate compared to his brother and did struggle with niacin deficiencies a couple weeks ago. Since then I have increased his niacin intake immensely. And now a few days ago I noticed that he couldn’t walk or stand barely, he just walks with his wings and looks extremely weak. I took him to the vet and they diagnosed him with pneumonia. He’s currently on antibiotics. I was just wondering if there was anything else that could be causing this weakness? Besides niacin or the pneumonia. Because it happened so sudden I just find it hard to believe that the pneumonia caused him to not walk right.

If you are concerned there may be another problem at play you should discuss that with your veterinarian - it is difficult to suggest if there is another problem basing off of a quick description over the internet.

Do understand most problems affecting the respiratory aspect, such as pneumonia will cause a degree of exercise intolerance; with the addition of niacin-related leg problems, this could cause the bird to exhibit a severe degree of lameness. Hopefully, with a round of antibiotics and niacin supplementation, you'll see some improvement in the bird's condition.

Back
Top Bottom