Pekin Duck Club!

I would suspect malnourishment or egg yolk peritonitis.  She needs to be picked up, cleaned up, weighed, fed the best you can feed her, and a trip to the vet if at all possible would be good.

Ducks can recover from EYP, but it is not guaranteed.  If that's what it is, she needs antibiotics, something like Baytril, and may need to be syringe or tube fed.  That is not impossible, @casportpony
has published information on it (look up "team tube feeding").

:hugs

What is EYP?

You *must* catch her and give her a thorough exam, because it's quite possible that her nest has mites, which could mean that she has mites and is no anemic. Another thing to look for are maggots. Since she broke many of the eggs, it's possible that they attracted flies and that she has maggots on her from them. Whatever is wrong, you need to catch her and check every inch of her for abnormalities.

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

Also, what "abnormalities" should I be looking for? Literally I've never been able to catch her or hold her. The only time she's been caught is when my husband and our friend caught them to bring them to my house.

Set up a temporary corral. It needs to be wider at one end and narrow down at the other, I put a pet carrier at the narrow end. Then get a little help if needed, and start walking behind her to direct her into the corral. Keep walking, and walk her into the small area. Then you can catch her and get her into a tub of lukewarm clean water to clean her off and look closely.

Abnormal:

icky smell (healthy ducks - mine anyway, smell slightly of egg and straw, nothing bad)

foam in the eyes

little tan specks around the eyes (mites)

blood or scabs

scabs with tan blobs (fly eggs) or maggots (baby fly worms)

poop stuck to her vent

You *must* catch her and give her a thorough exam, because it's quite possible that her nest has mites, which could mean that she has mites and is no anemic. Another thing to look for are maggots. Since she broke many of the eggs, it's possible that they attracted flies and that she has maggots on her from them. Whatever is wrong, you need to catch her and check every inch of her for abnormalities.

Can you take her to a vet?

-Kathy

Also, what "abnormalities" should I be looking for? Literally I've never been able to catch her or hold her. The only time she's been caught is when my husband and our friend caught them to bring them to my house.

You might want to read this:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...ergency-and-supportive-care-updated-4-11-2016

-Kathy

What are the symptoms? And what can I clean her up with? Just water or can I use a little dawn or baby shampoo?

Just water for cleanup.

EYP may present as just being a little slow and unenthusiastic, stumbling, walking slowly, being drowsy and sleeping more. It can get worse and worse till the duck cannot walk. But sometimes she just suddenly dies.

Back
Top Bottom