Pekin Duck Club!

Just water for cleanup.

EYP may present as just being a little slow and unenthusiastic, stumbling, walking slowly, being drowsy and sleeping more.  It can get worse and worse till the duck cannot walk.  But sometimes she just suddenly dies. 

I caught her bc I just couldn't wait for my husband to get home. She actually seems to be ok except there's a small hole in the web of her foot. But no mites or maggots and she has a huge appetite. She is under weight. But she's missing some feathers. I think my drake is beating her up bc she's missing some on her head where he bites her when he mounts. And she's very twitchy. Her wings keep twitching and she keeps kind of chattering her teeth? That's the only way I can describe it. After she got hit by a car before I took her into my care she started bobbing her head sometimes and she's done it ever since then. So idk if it's getting worse or if it's something completely different.

Last edited:
Sounds to me like your girl needs rest and restoration. Separate the drake for a while. Days at least. I mean for several days away from her. Feed her some good food, maybe a breeder mix, with extra treats like a little tiny bit of sweet corn and some peas and a little dry cat kibble, some lettuce or dandelion

Some poultry vitamins once a week.

That is what I would do.

Sounds to me like your girl needs rest and restoration. Separate the drake for a while. Days at least. I mean for several days away from her. Feed her some good food, maybe a breeder mix, with extra treats like a little tiny bit of sweet corn and some peas and a little dry cat kibble, some lettuce or dandelion

Some poultry vitamins once a week.

That is what I would do.

That's what I'm thinking. Thank you so much! Why do you think she's twitching though? Could it just be from being nervous?

I have one Pekin that I got as a pet and an egg provider from our local tractor supply and I call her star. She is probably one of the most beautiful ducks I own. Her nam is Star and I've had her since early March. Anyone know when she will start laying?
big_smile.png
When she's about 6 months old.

they are 10 weeks old
Try putting niacin in their food. You will have to get brewers yeast at a nutrition store or online. DO NOT use the yeast you bake with. I put about 1 T per 2 cups of food. Mine are 3 months old so I don't put as much as I did when they were babies. I think the ratio for little ones is 1 Tablespoon/1 cup of food. Someone jump in here if the amounts are incorrect.
Good luck!
M

That's what I'm thinking. Thank you so much! Why do you think she's twitching though? Could it just be from being nervous?
My Pekins twitch their wings. I thought it was because they were hot. IDN.. But they will do it while they are resting and while they are walking around.
Mine also head bob, but usually when they get close to one of the other hens (mine are all hens), they also bob their heads (a lot) when they are getting ready to mount one of the other females. I have heard that the mounting is for dominance. Go figure.
M

Back
Top Bottom