Pekin Duck Club!

My sis just bought me 7 little yellow ducks from Orsleins. I put them in a stock tank on cardboard on the garage with a heat lamp. I fed them layer feed cause that is what I have on hand. Can I give them dandilions, peas, or bananas? Do I need to put some gravel in for them? How do I know gender?.

My sis just bought me 7 little yellow ducks from Orsleins. I put them in a stock tank on cardboard on the garage with a heat lamp. I fed them layer feed cause that is what I have on hand. Can I give them dandilions, peas, or bananas? Do I need to put some gravel in for them? How do I know gender?.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/750869/raising-and-caring-for-ducklings#post_10611711 all info is great for first timers.

Please don't put your ducklings on card board or anything else slick [can cause spraddle leg] old clean towels will work or rubber shelf liner shaving after first week but they may eat it till then because they are just learning what food is.

Layer is not good for ducklings they need an all flock crumble or chick starter.
And until your ducklings are eating their feed real well i wouldn't introduce any other food to them. And yes they need "chick" grit it's tiny so it's easy for ducklings to use.

gender won't be evident till they are a little older maybe 4 weeks then by quack, females quack loud drakes mumble

Last edited:
I have an idea take them inside and put each one on your scale to see their weightslol.  Because there is weights for reg and jumbo.. They all look to be  pretty good size girls, so cute.

Scales are evil! lol. I don't have one in house but been thinking about getting one for animals. My weight fluxes from size 0 to 14 on a regular basis so I just stopped checking lol. So Rose has way brighter orange feet and bill as well as orange around her eyes. Still pretty new to all of this and Im curious if it means anything or just different characteristics from different flocks.

I am wondering if I should start limiting my 2 weeks old pekin ducklings. One is much bigger than the other.
No they need to eat 24/7 till they are at least 5-6 weeks old this is the time they are growing and need alot of nourishment. Or their lil bodies will pay especially those lil legs. @tatemclark Welcome to BYC.

Back
Top Bottom