Pekin Duck Club!

My Pekin did this couple weeks ago. I brought her inside and let her take a good swim in tub to clear her nose holes(nares) really well and she was fine the next day. I did keep her and a buddy in bathtub that night with old sheet in bottom. Was a mess the next morning. I did a complete litter change out from grass clippings to straw in there coop too. I'm assuming it was either a piece of grass or something irritating her nasal passages that she cleared in bath or I got rid of in coop. Make sure they have constant supply of water deep enough there whole head fits in so they can clear there nose with it.

Last edited:
My Pekin did this couple weeks ago. I brought her inside and let her take a good swim in tub to clear her nose holes(nares) really well and she was fine the next day. I did keep her and a buddy in bathtub that night with old sheet in bottom. Was a mess the next morning. I did a complete litter change out from grass clippings to straw in there coop too. I'm assuming it was either a piece of grass or something irritating her nasal passages that she cleared in bath or I got rid of in coop. Make sure they have constant supply of water deep enough there whole head fits in so they can clear there nose with it.

Hello, I do use straw for bedding to start with. The water is deep enough that they can stick their head under. I'll try bringing in the ones that are breathing hard and let them relax in some nice warm water to see if they can't clear out their nose.
Thank u
1f44c-1f3fb.png

You're very welcome. I only used the grass cuz we had just mowed and was not able to get straw. I saw where others had used it and figured what the heck it's free...Lol. I won't be doing that again. It doesn't really do that well for em IMO. They had it a mess in 2 days. I was using crushed corn cob bedding before but got expensive. Straw works best for me too. Hope the bath held
1f601.png

Plz help!
I went down to the coop today to let my gang of 6 pekins and 2 mallards out. Well I was sitting with them out in the outside part of the coop and some of them had a whizzy breathing to them (like when u get stuffed up from allergies) they have heat lamp in coop. Do they just have water in nose or a cold starting?
@GooseFanatic how old are you ducklings assuming ducklings since you say you have heat lamp? do you have good ventilation in your coop

Hi everyone!
I need a little help! It's my first time with raising ducklings. I have 3 Pekin ducklings. One of my ducklings walks on top of feet, when it stands one foot overlap the other. When it tries to clean its self after the tub it will spin in a circle. My other 2 ducklings dont have this problem at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix the problem?

Thanks!

Hi everyone!
I need a little help! It's my first time with raising ducklings. I have 3 Pekin ducklings. One of my ducklings walks on top of feet, when it stands one foot overlap the other. When it tries to clean its self after the tub it will spin in a circle. My other 2 ducklings dont have this problem at all. Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can fix the problem?

Thanks!
Some ducks are just pigeon toed! Could this be it?
I have 2 hens that step on their feet and nearly fall down quite often, they just learn to live with it. Watching them walk is dizzying! Head goes one way tail goes the other!! It's a hoot!
You might try giving it niacin, but it sounds like it is just clumsy.
Good luck!

Hi everyone!

Thanks!
@MrsBroome2017 If ducklings they need extra niacin to have strong legs and chick feed that most of us have to use doesn't Have enough for waterfowl so we supplement. You'll need to start them asap on either 150mgs of Plain niacin not time released or flush free or Nutritional yeast 1 Tablespoon per cup of feed till they are 10 weeks old. Some ducks are pigeoned toed but this a niacin deficiency .

Where would i get the niacin or the nutritional yeast?
most places that carry vitamins will carry niacin but finding one that carries plain is a bit tricky so call around.. The nutritional yeast can be found at most health food stores or on line plain niacin can be found on line to but what ever you decide to use try and get it as quick as possible.

You can look up Niacin deficiency on line and go to Metzers web site it will explain it for you.

Back
Top Bottom