Pekin Duck Club!

Not completely splatter proof but I have found a way to keep most of the water from getting splashed EVERYWHERE in the coop

Ok fellow duck lovers! I need help! I have two pekin ducks. Both girls as far as I can tell. (No drake feathers). They live with my chickens. They think they are chickens besides they like to float in their water bowls :) anyways, I let them outside today to roam and if went out at aboht 4 to put them inside and usually the two ducks are together but today I couldn't find him. She wasn't in the barn or on the pond. So after searching for 15 mins she comes slowly waldeling from around the barn (oh thank god) until I saw she was all bloody!! Her neck was COVERED in blood and it looked like she had a hole all the way through her head. I thought she was shot :(!!! But after rinsing her off with warm water I think a dog, fox, or hawk bit or grabbed her head. There a puncture wound on both sides of her head (one side is worse and she can't really open her eye all the way). And there's one on the other side not as bad and one on the back or her head. Fairly large. It looks like it might have stopped bleeding (clogged up) because it looks like there is skin there but it is really hard to explain. It looks like a clot basically. (I'll post pics tomorrow ASAP). I have her in her own little coop. She has her container of water she can climb in and float in. She has food. And she can go up her a little board to get into a sheltered area if she figures it out. (it's a chicken coop....). I have hay bales around it so the wind doesn't get in and a tarp Ontop so she doesn't get rained on. But my question is... She won't get out of her water. It's been at least 5 hours. Is she just resting and tired? Does it just make her feel safe? Should I take her out? Should I wrap the wounds. ?!?! I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to take a duck to the vet but I am willing to buy any over the counter meds she needs. Let me know ASAP :(

Ok this is as good as I can do tonight. She can get out. She does whenever I pet her. And it looks like she might of ate a little. Very little. Bit of food. She breaths heavy every once in a while and keeps her mouth slightly open

Ok fellow duck lovers! I need help! I have two pekin ducks. Both girls as far as I can tell. (No drake feathers). They live with my chickens. They think they are chickens besides they like to float in their water bowls
smile.png
anyways, I let them outside today to roam and if went out at aboht 4 to put them inside and usually the two ducks are together but today I couldn't find him. She wasn't in the barn or on the pond. So after searching for 15 mins she comes slowly waldeling from around the barn (oh thank god) until I saw she was all bloody!! Her neck was COVERED in blood and it looked like she had a hole all the way through her head. I thought she was shot
sad.png
!!! But after rinsing her off with warm water I think a dog, fox, or hawk bit or grabbed her head. There a puncture wound on both sides of her head (one side is worse and she can't really open her eye all the way). And there's one on the other side not as bad and one on the back or her head. Fairly large. It looks like it might have stopped bleeding (clogged up) because it looks like there is skin there but it is really hard to explain. It looks like a clot basically. (I'll post pics tomorrow ASAP). I have her in her own little coop. She has her container of water she can climb in and float in. She has food. And she can go up her a little board to get into a sheltered area if she figures it out. (it's a chicken coop....). I have hay bales around it so the wind doesn't get in and a tarp Ontop so she doesn't get rained on. But my question is... She won't get out of her water. It's been at least 5 hours. Is she just resting and tired? Does it just make her feel safe? Should I take her out? Should I wrap the wounds. ?!?! I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to take a duck to the vet but I am willing to buy any over the counter meds she needs. Let me know ASAP
sad.png
Oh my. Personally, I would bring her inside and put her in a crate. Try to keep her as calm and still as possible. Try and clean it as best as you can with water. You can try putting some non-medicated ointment on it. You can get some antibiotics from tractor supply and/or feed stores. penicillin g is one or fish mox (amoxicillin). Ducks have a great ability to heal even with deep wounds without a lot of medicines. One of ours had a pretty good sized cut on her leg and she healed with us just trimming feathers and keeping ointment on it. I have an article i got off of here (can't find the link now) if you want I can pm it to you though, it may be able to help.

First...I'm jealous of how clean it looks everyone's ducks eggs are....
big_smile.png

I was hoping someone that knows more than I would say something, but those look like white Muscovy ducks to me, ChickenLover200 and not Pekins??? I'll have some Muscovy ducks someday and have been looking into them quite a bit.

pictures of the eggs:

sorry if you can't understand that :p

info on the ducks:
they were a gift so i think they are pekins
not sure how old they are
their quack still sounds like a beep
i am not completely sure those are duck eggs up there
i haven't heard the female duck egg song but their house is across the road from our house so it could be impossible to hear from here...
picture of the ducks:

male in back female at front :) their names are Ducky and Picky... the girl is Picky and male is Ducky :p

Muscovies :>

i keep their nest pretty clean with fresh fluffy hay so the eggs stay clean for the most part but they do share the nest with 2 geese lol and as we know goose poop is nasty so the occasional egg that gets shot w goose poo i just bring it in and scrub it off w a brush i have specifically for eggs then i dry em up really good and pop em all in the frig till i sell them
yippiechickie.gif
i do the same w the occasional chicken egg

My Pekin Howard, has been having a rough wet/winter season. I thought he was a normal Pekin (as he was suppose to be) but I have a strong feeling he is a Jumbo. He is VERY large compared to most and he has walking problems. He is always falling, his legs are only a couple inches off the ground, ect.

Well since we've had rain and snow his walking is getting worse. He keeps getting suck in the mud in the run. My other ducks and chickens aren't. But he is, it makes him fall and he struggles so hard to get back up. He is about 6 months old and I am so afraid he is going to break a leg with how he gets to falling in the mood and stuck.

Any ideas of what I can do? We have a coop they sleep in, along with 4 other built houses to get out of the wet. We also have a lean-to built so the ducks who sleep outside can stay dry through the night and they always have a dry spot. But the run in general is just a mud pit because no grass like our yard. I can barely walk in it without falling.

Any ideas of what I can do? We have a coop they sleep in, along with 4 other built houses to get out of the wet. We also have a lean-to built so the ducks who sleep outside can stay dry through the night and they always have a dry spot. But the run in general is just a mud pit because no grass like our yard. I can barely walk in it without falling. 

Well first off, any Jumbo Pekin will be prone to leg issues. They are meat birds and not really expected to live beyond whatever the breeders decided is the magic processing date. So if you're keeping one, my feeling is the best thing for him is good quality nutrition, with the niacin and the proper protein so that he maintains a good weight, but no so much weight that the weight adds stress to his legs.

Now about your pen. You really don't want mud in there, because as you know, it's not healthy and it is dangerous. So you need to improve the drainage. I've had mud here so I write from experience. Last year I laid down pea gravel. Well that was gone, disappeared into the muck in a short time. So this year I put down a layer of landscape fabric and a truckload of sand. Much improved. Some people do a layer of pea gravel then a layer of sand atop that. The landscape fabric is important tho. Sand is pretty cheap too. I think I paid $10/yd but it is really heavy, so you might be better of having it delivered, and thus you might have to pay a bit more for the delivery. My pen is about 265 sq ft and I could have used 3-4 yards.

Back
Top Bottom