Pekin Duck Club!

really? that is what someone was telling me but all the muscovies that i have seen have red around their eyes and stuff... can you put a picture on of a Muscovie duck? both male and female?
thanks!

Yeah, certainly looks it. Here are two photos of what appear to be white female Muscovies (disregarding that black one in the background.) The first photo is one with a limited amount of red carruncles on her, with just a little bit on her eyes. The second photo features a bird with a great deal more red carruncles that have formed around her eyes. It seems to me that these carruncles will begin to grow around your birds' eyes eventually. Seeing that only Muscovies and Turkeys have them, I would imagine that your birds are just young possibly? I imagine carruncles, like warts, take some time to develop and form. Unless that is the case, then perhaps some delayed growth....

Last edited:
really? that is what someone was telling me but all the muscovies that i have seen have red around their eyes and stuff... can you put a picture on of a Muscovie duck? both male and female? thanks!
Yeah, certainly looks it. Here are two photos of what appear to be white female Muscovies (disregarding that black one in the background.) The first photo is one with a limited amount of red carruncles on her, with just a little bit on her eyes. The second photo features a bird with a great deal more red carruncles that have formed around her eyes. It seems to me that these carruncles will begin to grow around your birds' eyes eventually. Seeing that only Muscovies and Turkeys have them, I would imagine that your birds are just young possibly? I imagine carruncles, like warts, take some time to develop and form. Unless that is the case, then perhaps some delayed growth....
There is some red behind the bill but not above the eyes out that's why I assumed they were Pekins... Maybe they are muscovies :/
really? that is what someone was telling me but all the muscovies that i have seen have red around their eyes and stuff... can you put a picture on of a Muscovie duck? both male and female? thanks!
And here's the drake/male.

Ok fellow duck lovers! I need help! I have two pekin ducks. Both girls as far as I can tell. (No drake feathers). They live with my chickens. They think they are chickens besides they like to float in their water bowls
smile.png
anyways, I let them outside today to roam and if went out at aboht 4 to put them inside and usually the two ducks are together but today I couldn't find him. She wasn't in the barn or on the pond. So after searching for 15 mins she comes slowly waldeling from around the barn (oh thank god) until I saw she was all bloody!! Her neck was COVERED in blood and it looked like she had a hole all the way through her head. I thought she was shot
sad.png
!!! But after rinsing her off with warm water I think a dog, fox, or hawk bit or grabbed her head. There a puncture wound on both sides of her head (one side is worse and she can't really open her eye all the way). And there's one on the other side not as bad and one on the back or her head. Fairly large. It looks like it might have stopped bleeding (clogged up) because it looks like there is skin there but it is really hard to explain. It looks like a clot basically. (I'll post pics tomorrow ASAP). I have her in her own little coop. She has her container of water she can climb in and float in. She has food. And she can go up her a little board to get into a sheltered area if she figures it out. (it's a chicken coop....). I have hay bales around it so the wind doesn't get in and a tarp Ontop so she doesn't get rained on. But my question is... She won't get out of her water. It's been at least 5 hours. Is she just resting and tired? Does it just make her feel safe? Should I take her out? Should I wrap the wounds. ?!?! I don't know what to do. I don't have the money to take a duck to the vet but I am willing to buy any over the counter meds she needs. Let me know ASAP
sad.png
Wow. I had to be away, just looking over this thread and found your cry for help.

An open wound needs to be protected from flies - Don't know if you have any out right now (depending on you are, and the weather).

I would get her inside so flies don't lay eggs in the wound.

Other things I would do

Rinse the wound gently three or four times a day with either Vetericyn spray (some feed stores sell it), or saline solution ( a quarter teaspoon of salt in a cup of lukewarm water).

Trim feathers from around the wound.

Dab some antibiotic cream around the edge of the wound after rinsing.

Check everywhere on the duck's body for other wounds, especially puncture wounds.

Give her plenty of fresh water and food. Give her poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics

Give her a bath in lukewarm water - no soap, just water - and watch, listen and sniff for signs of trouble.

Ducks are resilient, but they bounce back better with TLC.

Look into what kind of oral antibiotics you would use in case infection sets in. There are many threads in the archives with information about what others have used.

Wow.  I had to be away, just looking over this thread and found your cry for help.

An open wound needs to be protected from flies - Don't know if you have any out right now (depending on you are, and the weather).

I would get her inside so flies don't lay eggs in the wound.

Other things I would do

Rinse the wound gently three or four times a day with either Vetericyn spray (some feed stores sell it), or saline solution ( a quarter teaspoon of salt in a cup of lukewarm water).

Trim feathers from around the wound.

Dab some antibiotic cream around the edge of the wound after rinsing.

Check everywhere on the duck's body for other wounds, especially puncture wounds.

Give her plenty of fresh water and food.  Give her poultry vitamins with electrolytes and probiotics

Give her a bath in lukewarm water - no soap, just water - and watch, listen and sniff for signs of trouble.

Ducks are resilient, but they bounce back better with TLC.

Look into what kind of oral antibiotics you would use in case infection sets in.  There are many threads in the archives with information about what others have used.

Thanks for your help. She is in her own coop with plenty of hay and shavings. It's getting down to 29 deg tonight so I took out her big container of water she can float in and just gave her a deep dish of water. (With vitamins and electrolytes). Also put Neosporin on her wounds. They are pretty scabbed over so idk how much more I can clean them. Her eye is looking so pitiful.

i keep their nest pretty clean with fresh fluffy hay so the eggs stay clean for the most part but they do share the nest with 2 geese lol and as we know goose poop is nasty so the occasional egg that gets shot w goose poo i just bring it in and scrub it off w a brush i have specifically for eggs then i dry em up really good and pop em all in the frig till i sell them
yippiechickie.gif
i do the same w the occasional chicken egg
Hopin' then maybe I'll have better luck when I build my ducks their new "bigger" house! I'm not that picky usually, but can't eat these eggs I get....lol. Yuck!....
sickbyc.gif
big_smile.png
. I'll have geese someday and am scared of what they might leave behind if it is a bigger version of duck poo like they are themselves to ducks....
big_smile.png

My baby Pekins that I just hatched are already way bigger...
sad.png
. Dang, I forgot how fast they grow!

Back
Top Bottom