Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Rkirk

Rkirk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    no that's just it they are my little chunky butts! ome of my bigger males flew from one side of the run to the other. Had he gone a foot further he'd have gone out of the run and it is not small either lol. NEVER have i seen that and they are 100% Pekin lol

2. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    My indian runners could get about 5 or 6 feet of air if they were really excited. My heavier ducks like rouens and pekins? No way. Would be a thing to see- pekin flying. White mallard maybe?

3. Rkirk

Rkirk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    [​IMG] see anything but pekin?? Lol

4. Rkirk

Rkirk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Not front one but one next to him. That's my flyer lol

5. Robbo

Robbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2013
    Idaho
    My big sexy man, Howard, and his best bud friend, two ladies, and his chicken girls. :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. waynec1955

waynec1955 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Munford, Alabama
    One of my female pekins will fly on occasion, not very far but maybe 20 - 25 ' about 2 feet off the ground.

7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Mountains of Western N.C.
    you did an awesome job, I bet they will like it too.

8. Strawberryswyrl

Strawberryswyrl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013

Wow, all this about Pekins actually flying?? I remember my first set of regular-sized Pekins first trying their darndest to "fly" when they became fully-feathered. They would run, jump and flap with every gust of wind and only get up a little over a foot or two feet into the air and go about two feet in distance. This went on for a good month-and-a-half before they finally gave up and completely abandoned the operation! [​IMG] Then, when I got my two Jumbo Pekins, they did the same thing initially, until they, too, abandoned the operation. Every once in a blue moon one of them will get a burst of energy to jump very high and flap, getting about two feet off of the ground, but never actually "flying" at all. I'll never forget the day when my jumbo drake tried to run and jump but negligently did a somersault right into our empty potato box! Poor boy! But anyway, Pekins don't have the proper body shape to keep them in flight very long and can really only jump and flap for a while in the air, but never actually "fly" from what I understand. I was rather surprised to read some of the descriptions here of these "flying Pekins." Hmm

9. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    My Pekin fly-run when they are excited or trying to get somewhere faster. Very rarely, I will see them fly a few feet off the ground for a few yards, but not often.

They have such heavy bodies and short legs.

When I used to have runners and Khakis, some of them flew more. A few campbells could go pretty far and got quite high up in the air.

I see some Pekin fly the few feet off of the deck if they managed to stumble up there. Some just flop-fall down, so I discourage them from coming up cuz I don't want them to hurt themselves getting down.

10. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    I did just see a few fly a few feet (barely off the ground) cuz they saw I had peas & didn't want to miss out!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by