Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. canard

canard Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2012
    It's like their wings act as a propeller when they fly-run, cuz they move themselves forward faster.

2. Younger

Younger Chillin' With My Peeps

Our Pekin started laying in July. She has missed maybe 4 days since. We sell the eggs for $3 for 6. I have people lined up and waiting though. Pretty sure you could get more. We are in Ontario, Canada. When I finish the barn we will get a couple more females. I have a pair (1 male and 1 female) right now. They are so comical to watch. I love them.

3. Younger

Younger Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine could float down to the ground when they were younger, when we picked them up. Not now though. I would be afraid they would hurt themselves. They are pretty heavy. Winter has been cold here so they get a small dish of warmed porridge and peas every night. God forbid I miss a night!! The neighbours know when it's porridge time. LOL They are very appreciative.

4. Rkirk

Rkirk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Yeah mine coast pretty good but the one full on flys. And now the muscovy is getting out and flying so hes following. Wth??? This has been an interesting day.

5. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    [​IMG]

6. Strawberryswyrl

Strawberryswyrl Out Of The Brooder

Jun 11, 2013
    Yup they sure do propel themselves across the yard well with their wings! My girl does this more so than the drake. My boy is getting huge. Neither of them have been making any flying attempts lately: I think they have realized they are ground birds. After "mating," which my boy has a terrible idea of how is done and just stands next to the girl biting her neck, they run around the yard excitedly and one of them may do a short "victory hop" and flap quickly, and then that's about it. Other than that, they are ground-bound Jumbo Pekins! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  7. pinusresinosa

pinusresinosa Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2013
    North Branch, MN
    Aww, they sound so happy!

8. canard

Jul 22, 2012
    Younger.... sometimes I have run out of veggies.... i feel so bad. They always look for a handout. I heat up peas with hot faucet water in a strainer. Not only do they love them... the warmed up peas keep them snuggly warm in winter & the cold ones cool them down like popsicles in summer.

Strawberrswyrl.... Your mating description is hilarious.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  9. Rkirk

Rkirk Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2014
    Mine aren't too thrilled on any veggies but they love apples! I chop them up in little bits and they go banannas over them.

10. canard

Jul 22, 2012
    The only thing mine didn't like was raw carrots.... too hard to eat without teeth.

Rkirk, I bet they gobble up those apple bites. They seem to love sweet things.

Mine like finding bugs, eating leaves of safe plants (though I do have to chase them away from poison ivy), lots of veggies & some fruit.

They love peas most.... corn... squash, zucchini, cucumber, etc.

They loved meal worms too.... but the dried ones are so expensive.

I occasionally buy pet store crickets or feeder fish for a treat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by