Pekin Duck Club!

It's like their wings act as a propeller when they fly-run, cuz they move themselves forward faster.

Wow. That is a lot more than I expected. Does any one sell any for consumption? If so, how much do you sell them for?
Our Pekin started laying in July. She has missed maybe 4 days since. We sell the eggs for $3 for 6. I have people lined up and waiting though. Pretty sure you could get more. We are in Ontario, Canada. When I finish the barn we will get a couple more females. I have a pair (1 male and 1 female) right now. They are so comical to watch. I love them.

aww thanks :) I'm a huge animal lover and while I do eat some of my stock and their eggs they have happy lives between birth and the table. I'm grateful for the sacrifice they make to feed me and my family. That being said some I just can;t bare to make into food and I cant pass up helping an animal such as this. The whole "lost an eye" just got me feeling chicken hearted. I was leaning on those breeds as well I just wanted to get some opinions to confirm. My mutt ducks are gonna love their new home I'm sure of it. :) Ah yeah... anyone see a pekin fly? Mine are good flyers! Shocked me today thats for sure! lol
Mine could float down to the ground when they were younger, when we picked them up. Not now though. I would be afraid they would hurt themselves. They are pretty heavy. Winter has been cold here so they get a small dish of warmed porridge and peas every night. God forbid I miss a night!! The neighbours know when it's porridge time. LOL They are very appreciative.

Yeah mine coast pretty good but the one full on flys. And now the muscovy is getting out and flying so hes following. Wth??? This has been an interesting day.

Wow, all this about Pekins actually flying?? I remember my first set of regular-sized Pekins first trying their darndest to "fly" when they became fully-feathered. They would run, jump and flap with every gust of wind and only get up a little over a foot or two feet into the air and go about two feet in distance. This went on for a good month-and-a-half before they finally gave up and completely abandoned the operation!
barnie.gif
Then, when I got my two Jumbo Pekins, they did the same thing initially, until they, too, abandoned the operation. Every once in a blue moon one of them will get a burst of energy to jump very high and flap, getting about two feet off of the ground, but never actually "flying" at all. I'll never forget the day when my jumbo drake tried to run and jump but negligently did a somersault right into our empty potato box! Poor boy! But anyway, Pekins don't have the proper body shape to keep them in flight very long and can really only jump and flap for a while in the air, but never actually "fly" from what I understand. I was rather surprised to read some of the descriptions here of these "flying Pekins." Hmm
lol.png

Yup they sure do propel themselves across the yard well with their wings! My girl does this more so than the drake. My boy is getting huge. Neither of them have been making any flying attempts lately: I think they have realized they are ground birds. After "mating," which my boy has a terrible idea of how is done and just stands next to the girl biting her neck, they run around the yard excitedly and one of them may do a short "victory hop" and flap quickly, and then that's about it. Other than that, they are ground-bound Jumbo Pekins!
tongue.png

Last edited:
Younger.... sometimes I have run out of veggies.... i feel so bad. They always look for a handout. I heat up peas with hot faucet water in a strainer. Not only do they love them... the warmed up peas keep them snuggly warm in winter & the cold ones cool them down like popsicles in summer.

Strawberrswyrl.... Your mating description is hilarious.

Last edited:
Mine aren't too thrilled on any veggies but they love apples! I chop them up in little bits and they go banannas over them.

The only thing mine didn't like was raw carrots.... too hard to eat without teeth.

Rkirk, I bet they gobble up those apple bites. They seem to love sweet things.

Mine like finding bugs, eating leaves of safe plants (though I do have to chase them away from poison ivy), lots of veggies & some fruit.

They love peas most.... corn... squash, zucchini, cucumber, etc.

They loved meal worms too.... but the dried ones are so expensive.

I occasionally buy pet store crickets or feeder fish for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom