Pekin Duck Club!

I loved this big guy... then he drowned one of my indian runner drakes. Stinker.

Aww what became of this boy? Just a drake being a drake I guess?
idunno.gif
He's so handsome

I couldn't stand to butcher him (plus, would have been a waste, he came to us a few years old), so he went back to my friend's house from whence he came. LOL. He now bullies chickens. Her kids were happy about that too, so worked out all around. As long as no one gets in the water with him that's not going to let him breed with them, he's a good boy. My daughter named him "handsome daddy quacker" and that's still his name.

I've been noticing my Pekin Puddles would try and jump up into the chickens nest boxes when I would go down and night to put them all to bed and turn out the light. I grabbed her one night and put her up in one and she seemed as happy as could be. I didn't leave her in there though because I didn't want her to get hurt getting out.

So this weekend I decided to build her and her Indian Runner friend Splash their very own nest box. :)

Built the box in the feed room next to the chickens boxes and cut a hole through the wall for access. Didn't lose any space inside the coop. I still need to insulate the outside (hence the blue-board) but since we are having usually warm weather (50F this morning) I'm not going to bother just yet.

They haven't gone in it yet but I bet once they discover it they will love it :) didn't want to force them inside and cause them to be scared of it so I will just have to wait and see if it was a waste of my Saturday or not....

Good, glad you are aware. Some people don't find out until someone gets hurt or killed. Heartbreaking.

So, since I am a worrywart, I'll just say one more time - she depends on you to protect her, don't feel bad if you need to separate them for a little while. Annoyed ducks are not the worst thing in the world.
Well... last night my grandson was helping me feed our ducks and the hen and one of the drakes went into the nest box together. the other two stayed out playing with my grandson haha! before dinner I made my usual nightly rounds and noticed my hen is limping a bit. Checked her real good and she doesnt apear with any injury. I quartered off two of my drakes and decided that it was best to keep them that way until something else could be figured out. They all slept close with a fence between them. :( sweet babies really do love being together. Today brought good news! After much searching I have found two more females! I go to pick them up around supper time. They are sweet girls.

One was purchased by the owner and the other was actually found by her truc tire as a duckling when she came out from wal-mart. It had been injured by something apparently because it had one eye missing. I'm always looking to take in ones that are more needy of a good home then to buy them from a feed store. Any thoughts as to breeds?

Well... last night my grandson was helping me feed our ducks and the hen and one of the drakes went into the nest box together. the other two stayed out playing with my grandson haha! before dinner I made my usual nightly rounds and noticed my hen is limping a bit. Checked her real good and she doesnt apear with any injury. I quartered off two of my drakes and decided that it was best to keep them that way until something else could be figured out. They all slept close with a fence between them. :( sweet babies really do love being together. Today brought good news! After much searching I have found two more females! I go to pick them up around supper time. They are sweet girls.

One was purchased by the owner and the other was actually found by her truc tire as a duckling when she came out from wal-mart. It had been injured by something apparently because it had one eye missing. I'm always looking to take in ones that are more needy of a good home then to buy them from a feed store. Any thoughts as to breeds?
I love them and love your heart to at helping these ducks. and I agree with Amiga the one on the right is a Muscovy mix I rescued 2 once and they looked just like yours.

aww thanks :) I'm a huge animal lover and while I do eat some of my stock and their eggs they have happy lives between birth and the table. I'm grateful for the sacrifice they make to feed me and my family. That being said some I just can;t bare to make into food and I cant pass up helping an animal such as this. The whole "lost an eye" just got me feeling chicken hearted. I was leaning on those breeds as well I just wanted to get some opinions to confirm. My mutt ducks are gonna love their new home I'm sure of it. :) Ah yeah... anyone see a pekin fly? Mine are good flyers! Shocked me today thats for sure! lol

aww thanks :) I'm a huge animal lover and while I do eat some of my stock and their eggs they have happy lives between birth and the table. I'm grateful for the sacrifice they make to feed me and my family. That being said some I just can;t bare to make into food and I cant pass up helping an animal such as this. The whole "lost an eye" just got me feeling chicken hearted. I was leaning on those breeds as well I just wanted to get some opinions to confirm. My mutt ducks are gonna love their new home I'm sure of it. :) Ah yeah... anyone see a pekin fly? Mine are good flyers! Shocked me today thats for sure! lol
I've never seen a Pekin fly. yours must be on the lean side. lol to be able to get air born.

Back
Top Bottom