Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. TeenDuckLady

TeenDuckLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    East Texas
    My Pekin has a stuffy "nose" and I know that they need deep water to blow it out and clean it, but he doesn't do it unless he is swimming. He is to small to let out all the time. I don't know what else to do. He breathes hard because his "nose" is stuffed up. I WANT TO HELP HIM, Do I just let him swim every day to clean?
    [​IMG]

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Make sure water is warm and dry him real good when you take him out and put him in a warm place to finish drying that way he won't chill.

4. Bducky

Bducky Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2013
    Kansas city , Missouri
    Hi guys, I know it's been a while, but I thought I'd check in. I found a better home for my ducks, I met a lady who has a HUGE property that has an extremely large lake with a beautiful island in the middle. I hope all your ducks are happy and healthy.

5. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Any suggestions for taming 13 week old ducks? I've tried food, soft voice and just sitting there. They come running to me and will follow me but always stay their distance. I guess they are 'tame' but I want to be able to hold and cuddle them. Are they too old now or should I keep trying? I've had them since they were just a few days old.

6. CWranglers

CWranglers New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    St.Petersburg, FL
    Hi, I'm a new member although I've been searching this sight for about a year.
    I've had chickens for about 2 years, but no roos, so I only collect the eggs.

5 months ago I got a few ducks. 2 drakes and 1 hen. She recently started laying, I believe the eggs are fertile and I've read that Pekins are not broody. So should I take the eggs out and incubate them? They are turning brown, but they could just be getting dirty.
    The first few eggs where about the size of chicken eggs, the last 3 are about twice the size. Is that normal? And could these be fertile too?

Thanks!!

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you want ducklings? If so you might incubate them. I am not a hatcher, so I cannot give you much good information, except to say there is a good thread on hatching waterfowl eggs in the Stickies for the Duck Forum.

Also, two drakes and one duck is not a healthy ratio for her sake. Often ducks suffer from too much mating. A better ratio is one drake to three ducks.

1 person likes this.
  8. 3acres

3acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2013
    Missouri
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. CWranglers

CWranglers New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    St.Petersburg, FL
    Yes, I want ducklings.
    I know the ratios are off, they were a gift and little so we didn't know what they were. I plan on evening it out soon.
    How do I get to "Stickies"?

10. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    At the top of the Duck Forum index, in blue letters is the link to the Stickies list.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by