Pekin Duck Club!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by DenverDucky, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Anna6

Anna6 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2014
    SoCal
    Hi!
    We have a trio too but we believe it is one male and two females. You are right Pekins are not good brooders. Take the eggs and incubate them if you want ducklings, either under a broody hen or incubator. I have heard the eggs are also good to eat. My guess is that the smaller eggs are not very fertile if it is anything like with chickens.

2. Quack Quack

Quack Quack New Egg

Mar 21, 2014
    I would like to be added to the Pekin Duck Club!
    I have two ducks, Daisy and Donald.
    This is my drake Donald
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. waynec1955

waynec1955 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Munford, Alabama
    It's not unusual for some of the first eggs to be under sized. Don't incubate the small or misshaped eggs. It takes 28 days to incubate Pekins eggs. Your hen will soon have all the feathers pulled from the back of her neck if not already. We eat and cook with our duck eggs that we don't incubate. I have left eggs in the nest for up to two weeks and they still incubate fine.

4. CWranglers

CWranglers New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    St.Petersburg, FL
    Thank you.
    I'm off to incubate!

5. CWranglers

CWranglers New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    St.Petersburg, FL
    Thank you.
    Just so I got this right. I can take an egg and cook/eat it as long as it has not been incubated (fertile or not)?

Can I mark the eggs and put them in with my chickens to see if one of them will sit on them?

Thanks again.

6. CWranglers

CWranglers New Egg

Mar 20, 2014
    St.Petersburg, FL
    Found it!
    Thanks

7. waynec1955

waynec1955 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2013
    Munford, Alabama
    Yes, you can cook/eat. If your not sure how old the egg is, put it in water to see if it floats. If it floats it is not good. When I incubate my eggs, I candle them on day 8. Any that are not fertile I cook and feed to our dogs and chickens. Do not put the eggs you intend to incubate in water. Since our duck eggs are often muddy, I try to use the cleanest and wipe them off with a paper towel. I mark the date on my eggs when I collect them. I store them pointed end down in a carton and rotate them once a day until I incubate. Remember that chicken eggs hatch a week earlier than duck eggs, so you can't mix them under a hen.

1 person likes this.
  8. christinagaile

christinagaile Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2014
    [​IMG]Trying to figure out what type of ducks I have I think pekin mallard and Swedish blue I'm a first time duck owner and guessing based off online duck searching lol

9. Fernie

Fernie Chillin' With My Peeps

Looks to me like a Pekin, Mallard or Rouen and I am not sure of the one in the back. I have Rouens and they look like Mallards just larger.

10. Jnkbtd08

Jnkbtd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2014
    Lancaster
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

lol, beautiful ducks! I have Donald, Daisy, Darla, and Daffy

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by