Pekin Duck Club!

I spent a few hours laying in the yard with my 3 older Pekins today.....it was a blast! I love it when they crawl all over me....rub up against me...eat grass and leaves right by my face....lay down right by my face.....all that great stuff.....I love me some ducks....
big_smile.png
So much fun! I love when I can just relax and do that too. As for the drake feather, it kind of looks like one but when mine were at that silly age of losing their fuzz and getting feathers, there were a lot of crazy feathers. I didn't actually notice the drake feathers to be really prominent until a lot later. I can't believe they don't make that much noise! My Pekins are the noisiest, chattiest critters I have. They are starting to calm down a little though - they went through an especially noisy age at 3-5 months.

Hey
smile.png
puddles is in duck diaper training lol. Wen we put it on sometimes he is fine n others he decides to run his butt backwards in circles lol any sugestions?

Mine didn't wear diapers too often but they were kind of funny about it too. Sometimes they were really good with them on and others, they just spend their entire time trying to get it off. We had them in diapers for a little while because it was too cold to put them out in the coop/run and they had outgrown the brooder. Hopefully DenverDucky will come on here soon as she has a permanent house duck and probably can give you a lot of advice!

So much fun! I love when I can just relax and do that too. As for the drake feather, it kind of looks like one but when mine were at that silly age of losing their fuzz and getting feathers, there were a lot of crazy feathers. I didn't actually notice the drake feathers to be really prominent until a lot later. I can't believe they don't make that much noise! My Pekins are the noisiest, chattiest critters I have. They are starting to calm down a little though - they went through an especially noisy age at 3-5 months.
Ok, thanks! Yeah, they do have fluff and feathers going every where right now! The two Pekin babies I just got are supposed to be girls. Just guessing, but bet Pipsqueak and Pistachio are boys. I'd like just one Pekin to be a drake. Time will tell I guess. They are super quiet.....really laid back ducks. Maybe that will change here soon though. They are spending their first night outside tonight. I better go check on them again....
big_smile.png

ETA - ..first night outside still with a heat lamp though.

Last edited:
How old are ducklings when they start getting their feathers? I got mine from tractor supply. Im not sure how old they were when we got them but they were pretty small. They are already 3 Times the size they were when we got them. They grow so fast, They are out growing their Brooder!

Chickiemommie87, I had to change my brooder 3 times because they kept outgrowing it. I was not prepared for how fast they grow. I think mine started losing their "baby fluff" around 2 weeks. They went through an "ugly" stage. Lol. But they started getting new feathers soon after that. They are 6.5 weeks old now and almost fully feathered.

Chickiemommie87 - same here as rubberduckies....minus the ugly stage...my duckies could never have an ugly stage....lol....just jokin around....
big_smile.png
. Mine are adult duck on the bottom side kinda going up the sides and baby duck on top....
big_smile.png
. Going to start on their 4th and final pen real soon here.

I re-purposed my rotties cage so that should hold them for a bit! I put a little nest box in there with shredded paper till i can get some straw. Have you ever had yours try to eat the shredded paper? My little goons seem to think it's food.

Last edited:
Lol. Ducklings are like toddlers. They have put everything in their mouths to find out what it is.

Here's a pic of my Pekin when she was about 2-3 weeks old.

She lost so many feathers at once that you could even see her ear holes.

And here's a pic from yesterday (she was having way too much fun in the mud puddle so she's a little dirty). :)

Came home from work today and I'm a little Concerned. Waddlesworth is Sneezing alot and wheezing... can ducks get a cold? Our is he just stressed about their move to a new pen? What should i do?

Back
Top Bottom