Pekin Duck Club!

Question we live in Texas so it is pretty hot during the day but not so much so at night. We have also been getting rain more lately. But anyways should I put a heat lamp above my female's nest not close but just to give it light and maybe keep it a little warmer. If so just at night or 24/7
I am not convinced you would need to. What is the night temperature? It may actually stress her little body to keep her too warm at night, with hot days.

What do I do if my female is egg bound she is all the sudden limping yet nothing's wrong with her leg so I thing that's what's wrong with her

One of the first things is very gently - so as not to break an egg in her belly - get her into lukewarm water deep enough to float in and let her stay there for half an hour or more.

It may be a pulled leg, overmating, or other problem, so try to keep all that in mind.

Increasing calcium intake would help in the long run, I like to use 23% calcium gluconate solution liquid, two teaspoons per cup of water, added to food.

Or, for intense supplementation short term, a teaspoon in two tablespoons of mashed peas.

I am not convinced you would need to. What is the night temperature? It may actually stress her little body to keep her too warm at night, with hot days.
Around 70 at night I was wondering about stressing her she is up to 8 eggs would be 10 but one broke by her pool and the other she threw out it was bad. So she is laying an egg a day again and she keeps building her nest up. Hoping she is able to hatch these eggs on her on since we wont be able to get an incubator until next month.

Around 70 at night I was wondering about stressing her she is up to 8 eggs would be 10 but one broke by her pool and the other she threw out it was bad. So she is laying an egg a day again and she keeps building her nest up. Hoping she is able to hatch these eggs on her on since we wont be able to get an incubator until next month.

We successfully had hatched babies under the ducky. But she cheated a bit, co-sitting with the Rouen. Lol. That way everyone had a bit of a break to bathe, eat and swim each day. We had 4 out of 6 hatch.

Pekins are ducks. Ever wonder where the down comes from in those big winter jackets (okay, we here in the north have them a lot)?

Our ducks are outside, in deep winter (like the last very bad and cold one) they were in a mostly closed coop but able to go out every day if they wanted too. We only put a heat lamp in there because we also had our chickens in with them. That way everyone stayed nice and warm. We did not loose a single bird last winter!

Sunday morning questions for you fellow duck lovers :) Thanks in advance!

Do you make your own feed for your flock?
If so, do you add antibiotics?
Where is the best place to buy bulk ingredients?
Do you care to share your recipe?
Is fermenting duck feed necessary?

Fermenting duck feed is not necessary. After a year I tried it and my birds usually prefer the fermented feed to the regular one. Lol.

We don't add any antibiotics to the feed as ducks are very hearty birds and barely get any diseases. I so think that medicated feed will make them become immune to it which is bad if they would really need some down the road.

I heard that local feed mills sell bulk feed and other supplies too. Might wanna check around and see if and how it compares to what you pay/feed them now. It's all on you and how you wanna go about it!

Sunday morning questions for you fellow duck lovers
smile.png
Thanks in advance!

Do you make your own feed for your flock?
If so, do you add antibiotics?
Where is the best place to buy bulk ingredients?
Do you care to share your recipe?
Is fermenting duck feed necessary?

Not really, i do have a buffet type diet, where i have options for grains and complete growers and then the majority free range. No antibiotics here. I also don't ferment, i do know some do, try a search for search for threads on it.

Back
Top Bottom