Pekin Duck Club!

Hi all. We have 3 pekin,3 Rouen & 2 KC that will be 7 weeks tomorrow (boy has time flown!). I am trying to figure genders but not quite sure. I have 2 pekin that have more of an orange bill & the other is very dull. The ones with the orange bills are very vocal and almost sound more like a goose honk than a quack. The other one is quiet. Would it be safe to assume we have 2 hens & 1 drake or 2 drakes & 1 hen. I will see if I can get some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Well, it's an understandable addiction.  Look at how cute they are and you get to hold them.  And even as adults they are still so cute and funny and do all sorts of crazy things.  I don't own any due to my living situation but my friend has a diverse flock of 4 now and the stories he tells…..

Love the names Olympis and Nyne.  Creative.
Thank you. Here's a shot of the rest of the flock.

I know this is a peking thread, but Nobody has answered my questions elsewhere....

HELP MY DUCKLING SEEMS SICK

My 13 day old duck baby seems to be sick, at least that's what I assume.

When it was time for an evening snack i noticed Lamont acting weird. The lil guy did not partake in snacktime. I observed him for a few minutes and He is quite lethargic, his eyes are glassy. His breaths seem to be a Tad rapid. He is also constantly peeping but very quiet. Hes been this way for about an hour. I'm very worried.
We have seperated him from the other 5, lying him on the bed sittin on paper towles. so we can keep a close watch.
I don't believe anything out of the ordinary has happened. He was hanging out with his 4 older peking friends inside before hand and was acting fine. Eating and drinking fine.
We put the pekings in there outdoor coop And returned to give the babies their snack.....

here's a picture of him... any advice would be amazing!

Hi all. We have 3 pekin,3 Rouen & 2 KC that will be 7 weeks tomorrow (boy has time flown!). I am trying to figure genders but not quite sure. I have 2 pekin that have more of an orange bill & the other is very dull. The ones with the orange bills are very vocal and almost sound more like a goose honk than a quack. The other one is quiet. Would it be safe to assume we have 2 hens & 1 drake or 2 drakes & 1 hen. I will see if I can get some pictures tomorrow. Thanks for the help!

Bill color doesn't dictate sex so that is irrelevant but I believe you are on the right track probably two females and a drake. The girls have an almost obnoxiously loud quack and every once in a while will honk. A drake will have a very quiet, raspy "quack" like he has a sore throat and doesn't want to quack loud.

I just started adding grit to my ducklings crumbles. it says on the bag to monitor the bird for the first few days, but does not explain why. Is it possible one of my ducks is having a reaction to the grit? I've posted this elsewhere but just realized his diet has changed. His condition seems to worsen. Now being 4am, the problem began around 9. while resting he voided a tiny redish brown turd. He later pooped pure thick slimey yellow and just laid in it. I had to bathe him. He's now under a bulb shaking and peeping. I'm assuming the shaking and peeping is due to being cold. Other than crumble with niacin and grit he gets peas twice a day, and grazes in the yard (if warm enough with supervision ) with his older siblings for about an hour.

When it was time for an evening snack i noticed Lamont acting weird. The lil guy did not partake in snacktime. I observed him for a few minutes and He is quite lethargic, his eyes are glassy. His breaths seem to be a Tad rapid. He is also constantly peeping but very quiet. Hes been this way for about 7 hours. I'm very worried.
We have seperated him from the other 5, lying him on the bed sittin on paper towles. so we can keep a close watch.
I don't believe anything out of the ordinary has happened. He was hanging out with his 4 older peking friends inside before hand and was acting fine. Eating and drinking fine.
We put the pekings in there outdoor coop And returned to give the babies their snack.....

Here he is with the others. The black duck...with his head hung low... whereas the others are perked up.

Hi my name is angel I am new to BYC. I have been looking over this site the past few days bc I have just started incubating ducklings (pekin) and chicks (buff orphington). Unfortunately I put the ducklings and chicks in at the same time but I am planning on moving the chicks to a different incubator during lockdown. Right now I have them all in the little giant 9300. I was wondering if There's any advice anyone can give me as being a new hatcher. Also should I mist the duck eggs while they are in with the chick eggs or no? If so when should I start misting?. Another question I have is should the temp be lowered after the chicks hatch or no? Please not negative comments. I'm sure I have more questions but I'll leave it to that for now.

I just started adding grit to my ducklings crumbles. it says on the bag to monitor the bird for the first few days, but does not explain why. Is it possible one of my ducks is having a reaction to the grit? I've posted this elsewhere but just realized his diet has changed. His condition seems to worsen. Now being 4am, the problem began around 9. while resting he voided a tiny redish brown turd. He later pooped pure thick slimey yellow and just laid in it. I had to bathe him. He's now under a bulb shaking and peeping. I'm assuming the shaking and peeping is due to being cold. Other than crumble with niacin and grit he gets peas twice a day, and grazes in the yard (if warm enough with supervision ) with his older siblings for about an hour.

When it was time for an evening snack i noticed Lamont acting weird. The lil guy did not partake in snacktime. I observed him for a few minutes and He is quite lethargic, his eyes are glassy. His breaths seem to be a Tad rapid. He is also constantly peeping but very quiet. Hes been this way for about 7 hours. I'm very worried.

Here he is with the others. The black duck...with his head hung low... whereas the others are perked up.

Is that Lamont who isn't doing well?

The honkers are girls. I have 4 sexed ducklings that I know are girls, and when they get going they sound like a bunch of geese.

Back
Top Bottom