Pekin Duck Club!

Are you just going by size? By 9 weeks they will have their big duck voices. I knew I had 2 pekin drakes an 1 Pekin duck at 5 weeks old. The drakes will be quiet and raspy and the ducks have a very loud quack. As for the ratio if you do indeed have 2 drakes/1duck it is a dangerous situation for her. I have heard horror stories about drakes being brutal and persistent when it comes to mating sometimes resulting in the death of the duck. I would never attempt to keep that ratio.

well, here's my problem. When I ordered my ducks from backyard chickens, I specifically requested, two females and one male. now, that they are about 9 weeks old, I see that two of them are much much bigger then the third.this leads me to believe that what I received was two males and 1 female.now that they are my pets and I love them, and as I have no room for a new duck. I was just wondering what kind of problems can I look forward to now that I have to drakes and one hen.
What breed are these again?

I wish we could keep ducks on our pond, but we seem to have no luck. Our geese are doing great, but something always gets our ducks. The geese try to protect them . I'm not sure if turtles get them or maybe a fox. We just don't seem to have any luck on our farm with ducks. I wish we did!

Pekin duck twice this summer 13 + eggs and nest, she sit on daily rarely ever left her nest
There was two that hatched nest was in neighbors yard. Pekin Mom just left them done .......two little ones hanging in bushes.
all other eggs were gone :cold we waited a few days just in case.

We took care of the two babies as Mommy always visits
Pekin Mommy didn't want anything to do with them? so weird..

They would try to follow her and she didn't want them around. we took care of them a month or so and they got out of
cage we found them with other Pekin ducks at lake we let them stay they seemed just fine peace .....yet about a week
Someone took them... a pair..

2nd egg nest a month later, 14 + eggs, we seen Pekin Mom Pick Up and carry off

a few Eggs and just drop off 100ft or so from nest. Maybe knowing bad eggs.

a Couple of weeks later, she quit setting on her eggs, time was well over due.
She must have known they were not ok.

While Checking them out a few days later knowing she wasn't sitting on them

What few were left 8 or so, were not alive.

Pekin ducks seems Mommy is so dedicated for over a month then .... as if times up oh well?
Leaving two babies from her previous nest, shocked me a bit. Still Learning......

Thanks for therapy, lol
Respectfully,
Kim

I have seen the drakes .... I had no idea they could be so mean especially during mating season
Not a good thing to see.

I think I freaked a new neighbor out wondering what the heck I was doing in their yard lol,

I kept hearing her quack as if help
I was in their yard trying to run them off of her.

Lady looking out window I so wanted to tell her what I was doing....

I did ok run them off, walking back home..... ok Kim get over it mind your own biz.
My next day walk, she was no where around just gone I know they ........ too many.

Advice Don't live near a City lake if you care about Ducks Geese unless you want to be
a rescue person and have means to do so.

Respectfully
Kim

All of you here are amazing
Thank You

I have my 3 jumble was in a good size section of my garage things stand. wondering if y'all could help me with an opinion. I have my 3 jumbos in a good size section of my garage....I have spread about 6 yards of pine savings on the floor for them...... it's about 3 inches thick for an area of I would say 40 square feet. Every morning and evening I use a pooper scooper to pick up the droppings and dispose of them. they have been out of their brooder, and in this area for 2 weeks now. I figured that I would completely clean the entire area tomorrow, replacing it with new bedding.however, I just read in my duck book, that there is a method known as deep bedding
it's states that I can simply put a new layer of bedding on top of the old layer..allowing the droppings to simply be buried week after week under layer and layer of bedding. this approach just seems really on sanitary to me, have any of you had any luck with this approach? Again I have only 3 jumbo peking . any advice would help I just don't want them to be living in yucky environment

I have been doing this method with my 3 pekins and it works wonderfully! I stir it once a week and add to the shavings. Even on the hot and humid days there is no smell or any flys!

I have been doing this method with my 3 pekins and it works wonderfully! I stir it once a week and add to the shavings. Even on the hot and humid days there is no smell or any flys!
When we get the right combination of bedding and poo, and keep it stirred for air, the microbes break it down and it becomes soil. Stinky comes from too little air (too much wet), or not enough bedding. If the pH is good (not real acid, not real alkaline), natural processes take care of themselves. And when it's done, you have garden soil.

When is mating season for drakes? Maybe that's why mine is biting me like crazy.
I have seen the drakes .... I had no idea they could be so mean especially during mating season Not a good thing to see. I think I freaked a new neighbor out wondering what the heck I was doing in their yard lol, I kept hearing her quack as if help I was in their yard trying to run them off of her. Lady looking out window I so wanted to tell her what I was doing.... I did ok run them off, walking back home..... ok Kim get over it mind your own biz. My next day walk, she was no where around just gone I know they ........ too many. [COLOR=000080]Advice Don't live near a City lake if you care about Ducks Geese unless you want to be[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]a rescue person and have means to do so. [/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]Respectfully [/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]Kim [/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]All of you here are amazing[/COLOR] [COLOR=000080]Thank You [/COLOR]

Back
Top Bottom