Pekin Duck Club!

Thank you so much. They're all doing great. And although the 8th one was introduced over 12 hrs after the others hatched they took to it easily by cleaning its fuzz! Lol it was pretty funny. Poor little guy didn't know what to think at first. Now they're all happy lil puff balls!

Hello all! New pekin duck mommy here. Went to farm to get our cayuga/pekin drake a wife and came home with his wife, pure Cayuga, and a bonded pair of 2 yr old pekins. She sold us them as a breeding pair. What should I know about pekin? She told me 1 female per male is fine, contrary to everything I have read. Will a pecking order take place as does with chickens? I cannot free range but there is a coop and pond in their run. What do the ladies like to lay their eggs in?
1 drake to 1 female will work, but would be better to have up to five females. She will build a nest on the ground, they will sometimes pick some high brush or a hollowed out tree. If you have a coop or duck house she may choose that. Sometimes they just lay on open ground until they find a spot they like.

Thanks! She already gave us an egg this morning and it was in a corner in the run. I think we may add more at some point! Maybe one will go broody or we could incubate.

My females have multiple nests...its a little like an Easter egg hunt each morning! Sometimes 2 will sit in a nest together!

I have another one of my pekins i hatched sick if it dies that will be #4 out of six why do they keep dying especially when there 2 to 3 months old :(

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom