Pekin Duck Club!

yesss.gif

HI! I have a Pekin just about to be 6 months and today I found two eggs in her home. Idk what to do Cus she's not laying on them. I do have a drake so I'm sure they're fertilized Cus they have " been intimate " lol
Help!
[/URL]
You will know when they are going to lay on them to hatch them. Mine started laying on them non stop. If she doesn't lay on them enough they will not be able to hatch anyways. I just had some hatch last weekend from my Pekin. If she is letting you near the eggs, they are there for the taking.

I am literally IN LOVE with my ducks! They're so beautiful and cute and they've grown so big! I have a question though. When do Pekins begin laying eggs? I have a female and a male and I think the male is mixed with another duck breed. He has grey feathers in his back and patches of grey around his eyes and a dark brown-ish bill. Would he try and mate with the female Pekin or does there need to be more hens?

@Shelmii

if anything, watch that he doesn't overdo it with mating with her. Sometimes pairs do fine, often drakes get kinda sex-crazed and can hurt the females. Then more females, and even then you may need to separate the guy. But he may be fine and mellow - you need to watch.

Aggressive mating behavior from male Pekins is real! We lost his mate to an accident so he adopted the chickens. He picked one out of the crowd and now she has no feathers on the back of her neck, and he pulled all her tail feathers. out. We did have to separate the ducks & chickens so he wouldn't kill anyone. Oh yeah, he would also chase after us if went near his 'chick.'

As for hatching, mine never did do that. She would lay but not brood. So we had fresh ducks eggs all the time.

Good luck to you.
smile.png

Last edited:
I am literally IN LOVE with my ducks! They're so beautiful and cute and they've grown so big! I have a question though. When do Pekins begin laying eggs? I have a female and a male and I think the male is mixed with another duck breed. He has grey feathers in his back and patches of grey around his eyes and a dark brown-ish bill. Would he try and mate with the female Pekin or does there need to be more hens?
I think they begin laying at 20-24 weeks, if memory serves. And, yes, he will mate with your female. A couple more females would probably be a good idea.

Its official, the crazy gang are 16 weeks old and I have one with a drake curl and 5 hens. That poor lad is going to be run off his feet, the chatter and craziness just never ends.

Here are 3 of my Pekin ladies. I have 4 pekin and 1 (suposed to be) appleyard. They are just 6/7 weeks old and getting so big!
3 of the 5 are quacking so at least I know there are 3 ladies! The small pekin is still peeping and the appleyard peeps and I THINK quacked today but not sure....

Back
Top Bottom