Pekin Duck Club!

Anyone have any suggestions for my coop? I keep a good eye on them all day but at night they come in at dark they start chattering they go strait to the door , about 830pm. But I feel bad them being in a small box at night although they seem to be ookay with it . They usually asleep within 15 minutes of getting in to their box , I just feel I can. Sleep knowing their okay , I get them back outside about 630-700am. Any suggestions? Their going to get bigger and start laying eggs idk what to do

Attachments

• IMG_0034.JPG
    IMG_0034.JPG
    784.5 KB · Views: 5
They def need a secure coop one wrapped in hardware cloth half inch is best that will keep out raccoons, opossums mink and weasel. Even if you live in a suburban area you still have preds. During the day there is also hawks and some predators will even get brave enough to come around during the day. Your setup looks good just make sure their house is safe and secure.

They def need a secure coop one wrapped in hardware cloth half inch is best that will keep out raccoons, opossums mink and weasel. Even if you live in a suburban area you still have preds. During the day there is also hawks and some predators will even get brave enough to come around during the day. Your setup looks good just make sure their house is safe and secure.

So they need to be completely locked in house inside coop area at night. ? Is that ok they poop a lot b it there is as you can see air flowing through ? They are spoiled I feel bad keeping them in tiny poop house all night, but they are ducks so are they okay with poop and flies and all that mucky mess

Do you have any bedding in it? you could also enclose all but the front so they would have a bit more protection from the elements. Do you live where it is warmish year round?

Yes they def need to be locked up at night before dark preferable. If you put some bedding in wood shaving like they have at feed stores or straw and enclose both sides and back that way you could keep their bedding drier and remove it and put in fresh as they muck it up. I use deep litter where I just remove the top wet poop stir up remaining and add as needed.

Do you have any bedding in it? you could also enclose all but the front so they would have a bit more protection from the elements. Do you live where it is warmish year round?

The little house locks up completely , and yes I'm in Texas lol insanely hot! I use shaving inside their plastic tote they sleep in at night I have good system to clean ,I only don t want shavings outside beccause I do live in suburbs , I don't know how neighbor would like if it starts flying in their yard . So far grass is working I have prepared mentally losing my grass area but we have a fairly large yard considering suburbs, Do ducks attract roaches A friend got rid her chickens because roaches , I keep my Coop clean but I will never win this battle .

Yes they def need to be locked up at night before dark preferable. If you put some bedding in wood shaving like they have at feed stores or straw and enclose both sides and back that way you could keep their bedding drier and remove it and put in fresh as they muck it up. I use deep litter where I just remove the top wet poop stir up remaining and add as needed.

Well 3 open sides would be fine but I'd think not using bedding and cleaning out would be worse, Have you thought of sand as floor for coop? Once I clean the wet poop out of my houses daily and turn bedding I have no smell and flies are not a problem inside. There is a member from Texas on here that made an open coop for her ducks I'll see if I can get her to share.

@needlessjunk
also @Ren2014 is in Texas she might have some ideas. Every part of the country is different so it's good to talk with those who live in our areas.

Well 3 open sides would be fine but I'd think not using bedding and cleaning out would be worse, Have you thought of sand as floor for coop? Once I clean the wet poop out of my houses daily and turn bedding I have no smell and flies are not a problem inside. There is a member from Texas on here that made an open coop for her ducks I'll see if I can get her to share.

@needlessjunk
also @Ren2014 is in Texas she might have some ideas. Every part of the country is different so it's good to talk with those who live in our areas.
Yes thank you!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom