Pekin duck question...?

mlwtbzj, I know these are a bunch of questions, I am just trying to get some leads here for ideas.

Is there feed and water in with the ducks?

I'll give you a chance to find out, and get back to us. I am sorry to hear about the problem.

The pen wasn't used for any other animals. Just the baby ducks mom and dad. Mom and dad got a new pen and the babies got their old on. I don't think the food was medicated and she keeps the food and water in with them all the time. The weather has been way colder than usual, but she winterized the pen. She seems to think that she needed to change their food. She has pine shavings for the bedding. Thank you so much for wanting to help!

How old are they? edit - sorry. You wrote that they are four months old - that's pretty grown up.

Do you have a way to monitor the temperature in there?

Anyone else with Pekins is welcome to join us anytime
smile.png

I raised a few Pekins in Georgia many years ago. We had a chain link pen and a dog house and things went well.

I wonder if there is a vet who could look at their bodies to determine cause of death.

mlwtbzj, I need to turn in very soon. I plan to check back in the morning.

You say the parent ducks are fine?

Hmmmmmm. . .

Do they get snacks? I wonder if they are getting into something toxic.

Last edited:
Right. Well, I will be thinking about these poor crits and your friend. Is there a possibility that some fumes, say from a car or truck, are getting into their little house?

Okay, I need to go now. Wish I could help more.

May you have a peaceful night.

My friend takes really good care of them and checks on them atleast three times a day, and she has children that are always out checking on all the animals. It just seems freakish because the mom and dad are fine. The mom is even laying all the time. She has chickens and they are fine. We just don't understand because she thought she did everything she should have. It's always a learning process.

Quote:
Thank you so much for all your help! Please do think about it, and if you can think of anything that she could do let me know. Thanks again!

God bless!!

What did you worm them with

My pekins have no problem with cold and it was teens like 4-5 days last week and they are basicaly in the open with a dry place to get to.

Quote:
There were 8 to start with, I believe, and she has lost 3-4. She had two to die on one day, then went a few days with everything ok, then one, a few more days went by, then the last one was yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom