Pekin Duckling Laying down MOST of the time and army crawls... Normal or Not??

Glad the chick/duckling shuffle worked! We used to do that back at my zoo when we needed to add new ducklings to a group. Works like a charm. Even got momma ducks to accept new ducklings of different colors/species than her own this way. ;)

So sorry Bernese is having these problems. Her leg issues are making it tough for her to right herself if she flips, so just try to check on her often and keep an eye on that. Keep us updated! Those vitamins should help. I use B-complex vitamins dissolved in water for my ducklings as well since I'm not able to get brewer's yeast or plain niacin over here.

wee.gif

C'mon, little ducky, you can do it!

I was just coming on here to ask the same thing. I have a 3.5 week old Pekin duckling that lays down a lot. She shuffles around too. She can get up and walk, but she sure lays a lot. The other duckling seems fine. I have been giving them brewers yeast 3 T. in in every 4 cups of grower feed. How much should I be giving them? Should I also be giving her Niacin tablets in her water?

I hope your duckling gets better soon!

Just the brewers yeast is sufficient, and a teaspoon or so daily sprinkled over their feed is good.

Your giving them extra brewers yeast won't harm them, as the niacin content in the yeast is not concentrated enough to cause overdose.

I would NOT recommend adding niacin to their water if you are already adding brewers yeast to their daily feed, as niacin can be overdosed. (Brewers yeast is a food product, and unlike concentrated niacin capsules, it would be very difficult to overdose the niacin using only brewers yeast)

Cheers'

Dan

Last edited:
I was just coming on here to ask the same thing. I have a 3.5 week old Pekin duckling that lays down a lot. She shuffles around too. She can get up and walk, but she sure lays a lot. The other duckling seems fine. I have been giving them brewers yeast 3 T. in in every 4 cups of grower feed. How much should I be giving them? Should I also be giving her Niacin tablets in her water?

I hope your duckling gets better soon!
3T in 4 cups seems adequate. especially at first once the symptoms are gone you can cut back but keep them on it for a full 10 weeks.

I'd add a good poultry vitamin to their water too. your lil duckling may not be assimilating the nutrients it's getting some ducklings just need more help. Like in a batch of ducklings not everyone will show signs of niacin deficiency but it won't hurt them all to have the added B3 in their diet. Is this duckling growing? feathers beginning to come in? responding to the other ducklings?

I went right over to tractor supply and got some poultry vitamins. Hopefully they will help her! She is growing well, feathers are coming in, and she acts completely normal otherwise. Thanks so much for the help!

Umm no. That is not normal.

Ducks are NOT LIKE CHICKENS. GAH!

For one they need non medicated feed. For two they NEED vitamans like niacin. buy this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042LA2PG/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
a 1/2 teaspoon makes 3 gallons.

Ducks shouldn't be alone and they shouldn't really be with chickens, either.
I know ducks should not be alone but there was a Pekin duck in tractor supply wasn't using his 1 leg and they said he wasn't going to make it through the night because the other ducks are pecking at him and won't let him eat at all so I got him home and my baby runners won't let him eat or anything they pim him to the wall I keep him in the house with stuffed animals because if i leave him out there they will possibly kill him i don't know why his leg is normal they will not except him at all. I do let him play with the other duck I just have to supervise I hope when he gets bigger they will except him

Attachments

• IMG_20230903_185600119.jpg
    IMG_20230903_185600119.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 1
Ok thanks that's what I was doing. Yes his leg is normal now he's super attached to me. But he does like to play with other ducks hopefully if I keep doing this he will get accepted

Back
Top Bottom