Pekin Duckling Laying down MOST of the time and army crawls... Normal or Not??

wee.gif

C'mon, little ducky, you can do it!

@MamaBearsFlock , you might wanna check the date code on your new bag of feed and make sure it's not too old.
big_smile.png
Some stores don't sell toomuch of the more "natural" feeds, so they tend to sit *much* longer on the shelf than chick starter does. Personally, I won't feed anything older than one month, but that's just the way I am.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

I was just coming on here to ask the same thing. I have a 3.5 week old Pekin duckling that lays down a lot. She shuffles around too. She can get up and walk, but she sure lays a lot. The other duckling seems fine. I have been giving them brewers yeast 3 T. in in every 4 cups of grower feed. How much should I be giving them? Should I also be giving her Niacin tablets in her water?

I hope your duckling gets better soon!

Just the brewers yeast is sufficient, and a teaspoon or so daily sprinkled over their feed is good.

Your giving them extra brewers yeast won't harm them, as the niacin content in the yeast is not concentrated enough to cause overdose.

I would NOT recommend adding niacin to their water if you are already adding brewers yeast to their daily feed, as niacin can be overdosed. (Brewers yeast is a food product, and unlike concentrated niacin capsules, it would be very difficult to overdose the niacin using only brewers yeast)

Cheers'

Dan

Last edited:
I was just coming on here to ask the same thing. I have a 3.5 week old Pekin duckling that lays down a lot. She shuffles around too. She can get up and walk, but she sure lays a lot. The other duckling seems fine. I have been giving them brewers yeast 3 T. in in every 4 cups of grower feed. How much should I be giving them? Should I also be giving her Niacin tablets in her water?

I hope your duckling gets better soon!
3T in 4 cups seems adequate. especially at first once the symptoms are gone you can cut back but keep them on it for a full 10 weeks.

Thanks for the responses! Not sure what it is then. They have been getting the brewers yeast since I got them from the feed store. They were a week old when we got them.

Thanks for the responses! Not sure what it is then. They have been getting the brewers yeast since I got them from the feed store. They were a week old when we got them.
I'd add a good poultry vitamin to their water too. your lil duckling may not be assimilating the nutrients it's getting some ducklings just need more help. Like in a batch of ducklings not everyone will show signs of niacin deficiency but it won't hurt them all to have the added B3 in their diet. Is this duckling growing? feathers beginning to come in? responding to the other ducklings?

Back
Top Bottom