Pekin ducks...black feathers

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by bigtrout, Mar 31, 2011.

1. bigtrout

bigtrout Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    I have six three week old pekin ducklings...and they are obviously pekins....but the biggest boldest little bugger has about a dozen black pinfeathers in his tail...when he's dry and fluffed they aren't noticable...but when he's swimming they are really black looking. I thought pekins were totally white...is this.normal?

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  2. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Pictures?
    another thing, where did you get them from?
    Could be a result from a poor quality or a cross...

3. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

According to avianweb.com, male Pekin ducks will have a black feather on their backs.

4. DuckLover179

DuckLover179 Waddles & Puddles

Nov 28, 2010
    California
    Quote:??? I'm confused...
    I agree with KansasKid, it might just be a mix.
    My pekins as ducklings were always yellow. Now they have their feathers, and they are all white. That's the way a properly bred pekin should be.

5. bigtrout

bigtrout Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2011
    NW PA
    Its not a whole bunch of feathers...just a dozen in the tail..and they aren't really feathers just yet...just black down strands....but its just on the one...otherwise its physically the same as the others which are obviously pekins. Btw...these are TSC ducklings...I think here they come from Mt healthy hatchery or eagle nest poultry from ohio.

6. julie75

julie75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I agree with you DuckLover179 about them being all white. When I read that it through me for a loop. I've had Pekin ducks before and they were all white, no black feathers in site. But according to avianweb.com the drakes will have a black feather. I do not think this is a top feather but maybe hidden underneath.

7. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    It seems like any birds that come from TSC's and COOP's and Feed stores tend to not match up well with breed standards. 97% of the birds that i have gotten from these places always seem to have flaws with the 3% being mallards (kinda hard to screw them up...)

But of course i must state that i have had birds come from these places that did good in shows.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2011
  8. mogrl840

mogrl840 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Yuma AZ
    i noticed little black fuzzy feathers on mine today. only about 3 tho

9. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    They can have a few black feathers. I hatched 2 a few winters ago and the little male had 1 black feather in the middle of his back. He is the only one I've ever noticed that with, but he was most definitely pure Pekin. After he got all of his feathers it was unnoticeable.

10. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Mainly strains of pekins have been crossed to other breeds- Knowing a little about genetics can help to understand. Very basically - White can " cover" any other colour. The few black feathers are just an indication that some time this strain of pekin have been crossed to a coloured duck in order to improve bloodlines and prevent inbreeding. From the first cross any coloured ducklings are excluded from the group to continue breeding from - but they will still carry genetics from a coloured parent. Sometimes future generations will show some colour - hence a pekin with a few black feathers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by